Gunmen on Thursday night attacked the convoy of the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance in Ebonyi State, Bernard Odo.
His media aide, Charles Otu, who confirmed the incident, said the candidate was returning from a campaign rally when they ran into the ambush at the Rest House area along the Enugu/Abakaliki expressway.
The gunmen, who parked Sienna bus along the road, opened fire on the convoy aiming the candidate’s vehicle, which was completely shattered.
His driver was reportedly shot and bleeding forcing his Police orderly to maneuver the vehicle out of the area.
The driver later died due to the severity of the gunshot injuries he sustained.
It was gathered that the orderly and three others sustained bullet wounds.
This is the second major attempt on the APGA candidate after he was attacked last year in Izzi Local Government Area where he was going for campaign.
Those injured are receiving treatment at a hospital in Abakaliki, the state capital
Otu, in a statement, said five persons are still missing from the attack.
He said one of the cars in the convoy was also set ablaze by the gunmen.