Connect with us

Judiciary

Tennis star Kyrgios admits assaulting girlfriend, avoids conviction

Published

on

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios on Friday pleaded guilty to assaulting a former girlfriend, but avoided a conviction for what the magistrate called a “single act of stupidity”.

Appearing in a Canberra court, the Wimbledon finalist admitted assaulting then-girlfriend Chiara Passari on January 10, 2021, by pushing her to the ground after a heated argument.

Kyrgios said he was “not in a good place” at the time, and that he “reacted to a difficult situation in a way I deeply regret”.

“I know it wasn’t OK and I’m sincerely sorry for the hurt I caused,” he said in a statement.

Passari lodged a complaint with police 10 months after the incident, after the pair had broken up, lawyers told the court.

In a statement read to the court, Passari said she had been severely traumatised by the incident, experiencing severe weight loss, staying in bed day and night — unable to sleep or form new romantic relationships.

Lawyers for Kyrgios appealed to have the charge of one count of common assault dismissed on mental health grounds, arguing it was an isolated incident and out of character.

Psychologist Sam Borenstein told the court Kyrgios suffered from recurring major depression, which included black periods, thoughts of self-harm, insomnia, agitation and feelings of guilt.

Borenstein said the tennis star had relied on alcohol and drugs as a means of coping, but was now making progress in dealing with the issues.

Magistrate Beth Campbell heard that appeal but ultimately dismissed the case without conviction.

Campbell said Kyrgios acted poorly but the offence was not planned or premeditated and was a “single act of stupidity” by a young man attempting to remove himself from a tense situation.

The court was told Kyrgios shoved Passari, who was preventing him from leaving her Canberra apartment.

“I do not record a conviction against your name, I do not find any necessity to place you on a good behaviour bond,” Campbell said.

– Squandered talents? –

Kyrgios had hobbled into court in Canberra with a pair of crutches and a brace on his knee, after suffering a “gruesome” injury that sidelined him at last month’s Australian Open.

He was flanked by his current girlfriend Costeen Hatzi, an interior designer, and his mother Norlaila.

Canberra-born Kyrgios, known for his mercurial talent and on-court outbursts, later said “mental health is tough”.

“Life can seem overwhelming. But I’ve found that getting help and working on myself has helped me to feel better and to be better,” his statement read.

The case was adjourned in October, as Kyrgios prepared to play the Japan Open, so experts could produce mental health reports for the court.

“There’s only so much I can control and I’m taking all the steps and dealing with that off the court,” Kyrgios said from Tokyo at the time.

Currently ranked 20th in the world, Kyrgios featured prominently in the first episode of Netflix’s new Break Point tennis documentary.

“I now plan to focus on recovering from injury and moving forward in the best way possible,” he said.

The fan favourite won the Australian Open men’s doubles crown with close friend Thanasi Kokkinakis last year but was ruled out of this year’s tournament before playing a match.

His manager Daniel Horsfall said he had recently undergone surgery to remove a cyst inside his knee.

“The surgery went great, to be honest, we couldn’t have asked for a better result,” he told radio station SEN.

“He might be recovering faster than what we were expecting, so it’s good news.”

Kyrgios burst into fame as a 19-year-old in 2014, when he shocked the tennis world by beating Rafael Nadal to reach the quarter-finals of Wimbledon.

Often criticised for squandering his talents, Kyrgios reached the final of last year’s Wimbledon but was comprehensively beaten by Novak Djokovic.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Judiciary

Orders from above’: Katsina Hisbah detains journalist seeking interview

Published

on

 

 

A journalist with Trust TV, Jamil Mabai, has narrated how he was detained by the Katsina State Hisbah Corps while at the corps’ office on official duty.

The journalist explained that he had gone to the Hisbah headquarters for a follow-up interview with the corps’ Public Relations Officer, Nafiu Akilu, over an incident involving their officers.

Mabai, who narrated his experience on his X handle, said he had wanted to interview the corps’ PRO over a resident, Mallam Gambo, who was shot dead by an officer of the Community Watch Corps.

According to him, while Hisbah officials were trying to shut down a wedding with a DJ, the shots that killed the resident were fired by an operative of the Community Watch Corps tasked with defending communities against bandits attacks

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court remands man for allegedly stealing cold room compressor

Published

on

 A Sharia Court in Kano State on Wednesday ordered that a 25-year-old man, Ahmed Abdulkadir who pleaded guilty to stealing a cold room compressor  unit worth N60,000 be remanded in a correction  centre.

The police charged Abdulkadir, who lives in Fagge Quarters, Kano, with theft.

The Judge, Malam Umar Lawal-Abubaka, adjourned the matter until July 25 for summary trial.

Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, Insp Abdullahi Wada told the court that the complainant, Nura Muhammed who also resides in Fagge Quarters, reported the matter at the Fagge Police Station, Kano, on July 6.

Wada alleged that the defendant, entered into the complainant’s shop and stole the compressor unit.

The defendant pleaded guilty to the charge.

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Man,26,docked for alleged theft of armoured cables worth N3.7m

Published

on

A 26-year-old man, Adeniyi Toyosi,  on Wednesday, appeared before an Ota Magistrates ‘Court in Ogun, for breaking into a business premises to steal two transformer armoured cables valued at N3.7 million.
The Police charged the defendant, whose address was not provided, with burglary, stealing and conspiracy.
The Prosecutor, Insp E.O. Adaraloye,told the court that the defendant and others still at large, committed the offences on July 7 at about 12.00 a.m. at No.4 Pavilion Estate, Ilogbo road, Ota in Ogun State.
Adaraloye alleged that the defendant and his accomplices had broken into Makindez Multi Business Ventures to steal two transformer armor cables, three Closed-Circuit Television  and other valuable items valued at N3.7 million.
He further alleged that the company guards caught the defendant and handed over to the police.
The prosecutor said that the offences contravened Sections 390(9),413 and 516 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ogun,2006.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The Magistrate, Mrs A.O. Adeyemi, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N2.5 million with one surety in like sum.
Adeyemi ordered that the surety, who must reside within the court’s jurisdiction should be gainfully employed.
He further ordered that such surety should show evidence of tax payment to Ogun Government as part of the bail conditions.
She adjourned the case until Aug.14 for further hearing.
Continue Reading

Trending