Crime / 20 Aug 2026

Coastal road: Police arrest 39 suspects, recover weapons as 1,800 manhole covers are stolen

Share
Coastal road: Police arrest 39 suspects, recover weapons as 1,800 manhole covers are stolen

By Imisioluwa Afunmiso

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 39 suspects over various criminal activities, including vandalism, robbery, cultism and theft after 1,800 manhole covers and 75 directional signs were stolen from the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway.

Officials said the thefts occured between January and August, 2026.

The disclosure was made on Thursday by the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Tijani, during a press briefing attended by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos State, Engr. Olufemi Dari, who represented the Minister of Works, David Umahi.

The briefing focused largely on the growing cases of vandalism targeting critical infrastructure along the newly constructed coastal road and other major government projects in Lagos.

According to Tijani, the police command recorded the arrests through intelligence-led operations, stop-and-search activities, surveillance and targeted raids across different parts of the state.

Among the exhibits recovered were one truck loaded with cartons of spaghetti, one double-barrelled gun, 14 locally made pistols, one live cartridge, seven cutlasses, 16 knives, substances suspected to be illicit drugs, a Point-of-Sale (POS) machine, assault chains and a laptop.

Tijani said the command had intensified operations against individuals involved in the vandalism and theft of infrastructure along the coastal road and the Tomilson Bridge.

He disclosed that suspects linked to repeated vandalism of iron materials on the coastal road had been arrested, with vandalised materials recovered.

The CP also said a suspect arrested in connection with the vandalism of government-installed CCTV cables and other infrastructure on the Tomilson Bridge confessed to cutting cables connected to CCTV cameras and removing iron materials for sale to scrap dealers.

He said investigations were ongoing to identify other persons involved in the criminal network, particularly those receiving and purchasing the stolen materials.

On the coastal road, Tijani said the command was determined to go beyond arresting vandals to identifying their sponsors and receivers.

He added that some suspects had already been charged to court, while others remained in custody as investigations continued.

Speaking on the extent of the damage, the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos State, Engr. Olufemi Dari, said approximately 1,800 manhole covers installed along the coastal road had been stolen between January and August.

Dari explained that the manhole covers protect the underground drainage system, adding that vandals often break the concrete covers to remove the reinforcement materials inside for sale.

He also disclosed that about 75 directional signs installed along the road had been removed or vandalised.

According to him, the development was a major concern to the Federal Government because of the huge investment being made in infrastructure and the importance of the coastal road to transportation and economic activities.

He said the Federal Ministry of Works was working closely with the police and the recently launched Coastal Guard to protect the road from criminal activities.

Dari said about 12 suspects arrested in connection with activities on the coastal road were being paraded, adding that some had already been charged to court while investigations were ongoing into others.

He also announced restrictions on activities considered capable of undermining the smooth operation and safety of the coastal road.

He said trailers were not allowed to park on the road, while tricycles, illegal U-turns, roadside activities, animal rearing and other unauthorised activities were prohibited.

Dari warned that vehicles that break down on the road should immediately seek assistance from the police or relevant road safety authorities, adding that abandoned vehicles would be towed away.

He urged members of the public to assist the government by providing information on suspected vandals and other criminal activities along the road.

Meanwhile, the police said its recent operations also led to the arrest of suspected cultists and recovery of locally made pistols in different parts of Lagos.

The command said suspects arrested in Aguda and other areas were assisting investigators in tracing other members of their alleged groups and determining their individual roles.

Tijani reiterated that Lagos would not become a safe haven for criminals, stressing that the command would continue to employ intelligence gathering, proactive patrols, surveillance and targeted operations to disrupt criminal activities.

He assured residents that all suspects would undergo diligent investigation and that those found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with the law, with their fundamental rights respected.

The Commissioner also commended members of the public, community leaders, government agencies and other stakeholders for providing credible information that had assisted police operations.

He further assured the Federal Ministry of Works of continued collaboration in protecting critical infrastructure across Lagos.

The Federal Controller of Works, while commending the police for its support, said the Federal Government remained determined to protect the coastal road and ensure that criminal elements did not undermine the project.

He said the collaboration between the police, the Ministry of Works and other security agencies would be sustained to safeguard the infrastructure.