NRC Boss apologises for outburst against journalist at Kaduna train crash site

The Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Dr Kayode Opeifa, has issued a public apology to the Nigerian media following his verbal altercation with Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) journalist Comrade Ladi Bala while she was covering the aftermath of a train derailment along the Abuja–Kaduna corridor.
Speaking at a press briefing hosted at the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) FCT Council Secretariat in Abuja on Sunday, Dr Opeifa explained that his comments, made under severe pressure while coordinating the emergency response, were misconstrued as hostility towards the press.
Comrade Bala, a former president of the Nigerian Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ), had reportedly been subjected to an unprovoked verbal attack by the NRC chief while performing her duties at the derailment site.
The NUJ FCT Council condemned the MD’s behaviour, describing it as demeaning and a flagrant violation of press freedom.
During his apology, Dr Opeifa stated, “I sincerely regret the remarks I made, which were directed at a respected journalist and cast a shadow on both the NUJ FCT and NAWOJ. Acting under intense stress, I used inappropriate words for which I take full responsibility.”
In a symbolic gesture, he conferred upon Comrade Bala the honorary title of “Ambassador for Media Advocacy” in recognition of her professionalism and commitment to factual reporting despite the incident.
Dr Opeifa recounted that the derailment involved eight coaches and a locomotive, putting immense strain on his team as they juggled coordinating rescue efforts, briefing the presidency, addressing the public, and activating emergency measures.
He noted that the NRC’s newly updated emergency protocols were swiftly deployed, with key agencies such as the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Federal Ministry of Health, Kaduna State Government, FCT Administration, and the Nigerian military all mobilised.
At the time of the derailment, there were 618 passengers onboard. Seven coaches and the locomotive sustained damage, and around 20 passengers were injured, seven of them critically. Replacement coaches were promptly deployed to evacuate stranded travellers, and passenger manifests were used for tracing within 45 minutes of the incident.
“Some passengers had already left for nearby towns, but we tracked them by phone,” Dr Opeifa said. “I personally visited at least seven injured passengers, including one who travelled to Zaria.”
He commended the Nigerian Army, Air Force, police, local vigilante groups, and emergency personnel for their swift intervention, which saved lives. Ambulances and medical teams from multiple agencies were deployed, while onboard medical staff carried out triage at the scene.
Addressing Comrade Bala directly, Dr Opeifa said: “To her, I offer my sincerest apology. I also extend this to the NTA, NAWOJ, and the wider press community.”
He recalled his longstanding advocacy for civil rights and trade unionism, referencing his activism with the Campaign for Democracy, leadership in the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) at Lagos State University, and involvement in the June 12 struggle.
“I have stood alongside journalists in the past; they are my allies,” he emphasised.
He further pointed to NRC’s commitment to gender inclusion, noting that half of its management directors are women promoted strictly on merit. He pledged deeper engagement with the press to ensure accurate and timely communication.
On recovery efforts, Dr Opeifa revealed that by Saturday, two coaches and the locomotive had been cleared from the crash site, with an additional two coaches expected to be removed by the end of Sunday. Engineers had also installed 50 metres of new track to assist recovery operations.
He praised the quality of NRC’s rolling stock, observing that business-class passengers were unaware of the derailment until disembarking, a testament to the trains’ durability and shock absorption capacity.
While commending journalists’ coverage of the incident, Dr Opeifa appealed for careful and accurate reporting to prevent public alarm.
He also outlined several NRC milestones, such as the reactivation of the Jos–Bukuru line, expansion of the Lagos–Ibadan route, and plans to connect major ports including Tin Can, Warri, and Onne to the national rail grid. He described these as unprecedented achievements in more than six decades of Nigerian railway history.
The NRC has also created a Customer Service and Relations Department to improve engagement with both passengers and journalists, which has so far reached over 400 passengers affected by the Kaduna derailment.
Dr Opeifa concluded that the incident had strengthened the NRC’s determination to modernise its services and expand railway access nationwide in collaboration with state governments and the Renewed Infrastructure Fund.
“The press remain our partners. We will continue to work with the NUJ, NAWOJ, and civil society to build transparency and public trust,” he declared.
NUJ FCT Council Chairperson, Comrade Grace Ike, speaking on behalf of journalists, reaffirmed the council’s commitment to defending press freedom and opposing harassment. She described the apology as a positive step toward restoring confidence, but stressed the union’s zero-tolerance stance on intimidation.
“We will keep fighting for our members’ rights and freedom of expression, which is a fundamental right, not a privilege. I appreciate that the NRC MD has aligned himself with us in condemning the harassment of journalists and will champion this cause,” she said.
“With Comrade Ladi Bala as the NRC’s Ambassador for Media Advocacy, we expect greater media involvement in campaigns that promote journalists’ welfare and development, especially within the FCT.”
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Special Duties, Tunde Rahman, who accompanied Dr Opeifa, commended his humility in making the public apology and pledged continued cooperation between the presidency, NRC, and the press.
