By Titus Atondu, Makurdi
Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has again appealed to military authorities to ceasefire in the ongoing operation in parts of Konshisha Local Government Area of the State.
Governor Ortom said the appeal became necessary to prevent the loss of more innocent lives in the affected communities.
He sympathized with victims of the crisis and assured the people that his administration will ensure that no more lives are lost.
The Governor briefed journalists on the development at Government House, said a report from the Konshisha Council Chairman indicated that there was no operation on Friday.
He stated that out of the weapons seized from the military by youths of the area, three had been recovered while he had directed the Local Government Chairman, traditional rulers and other stakeholders to see that the remaining arms are recovered.
Ortom confirmed that eight people, including militia members were killed during the military operation and appealed to those fueling the crisis in the media to desist from the act and support the government to find lasting peace in the area.
Governor Ortom while fielding questions from Journalists explained that the deployment of soldiers to the warring communities of Konshisha and Oju was in compliance with President Muhammadu Busari’s order to security agencies to shoot on sight, anyone in possession of illegal weapons.
He gave assurance that the Benue State Government will ensure the demarcation of the boundary between Bonta community of Konshisha and Okpute in Oju to put the dispute to rest.