Connect with us

News

2023: No going back on BVAS, Electronic Transmission of results says INEC Boss

Published

on

Joel Oladele, Abuja

Amidst rumoured plots to truncate the 2023 general election by some politicians through crooked means, including stopping the use of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) and electronic transmission of results, the Independence National Electoral Commission (INEC) Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu has said there is no going back on its plan to make use of the BVAS and transmission of election results electronically.

Prof. Yakubu made this known on Thursday, during a quarterly consultative meeting of the commission with the media in Abuja.

According to him, the commission will not in any way bow to pressure from any quarters as it is fully committed to delivering credible elections with the aid of appropriate technology.

“With exactly 120 days until the 2023 General Election, we are clearly heading down the home stretch. At a similar consultative meeting with political parties yesterday, I reassured Nigerians of our commitment to credible elections supported by appropriate technology.

“Voters will be accredited by means of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS). There will be no incident form. Results will be transmitted to the INEC Result Viewing (IReV) portal in real time on Election Day. We are committed to ensuring that the 2023 General Election is transparent and credible, reflecting the will of the Nigerian people.”

Speaking on new voters’ registration, the chairman said a total number of 12,289,944 Nigerians have successfully completed the registration as new voters, out of which 2,780,756 (22.6%) were identified as ineligible after a clean-up exercise by the commission.

“You may recall that the Commission had repeatedly assured Nigerians that our process of cleaning up the register is robust. After a rigorous cleaning-up of the data using the Automated Biometric Identification System (ABIS), a total of 2,780,756 (22.6%) were identified as ineligible registrants and invalidated from the record, among them are double/multiple registrants, underaged persons and outrightly fake registrations that fail to meet our business rules.

“Consequently, the number of valid registrations (post-ABIS) is 9,518,188. A copy has already been uploaded to the Commission’s website and social media platforms.

The chairman also said the Commission has so far identified 23 Registration Officers involved in unethical conduct of registering fake voters during the Continuous Voters Registration (CVR) exercise and disciplinary action has commenced against the perpetrators.

“The Commission deployed thousands of diligent staff for the CVR exercise and the vast majority of them discharged their duties conscientiously. Unfortunately, a few of them did not. The fictitious registrations were carried out by some of our Registration Officers involved in the field exercise and could easily be traced.

“Each registration machine is operated using an access code tied to a dedicated e-mail assigned to a staff member. There is therefore an audit trail that gives the total number of persons registered by each official involved in the registration exercise. In some cases, some of them made as many as 40 attempts or more to register one fake voter.

“As a result, the Commission has so far identified 23 Registration Officers involved in this unethical conduct and disciplinary action has commenced. We shall continue to protect the integrity of our voters’ register. It is pivotal to credible elections. It is also a national asset and easily the largest database of citizens in Africa and one of the largest in the world.

“The 9,518,188 new voters have been added to the existing register of 84,004,084 voters. The PRELIMINARY register of voters in Nigeria now stands at 93,522,272. It is preliminary because Section 19(1) and (2) of the Electoral Act 2022 requires the Commission to display the hard copies of the register of voters for each Registration Area (Ward) and Local Government Area (and simultaneously publish the entire register on the Commission’s website) for a period of two weeks for scrutiny, claims and objections by citizens not later than 90 days to a General Election.

“Accordingly, in the next few days, the Commission will print 9,352,228 pages of the register. The hard copy will be displayed for each of the 8,809 Registration Areas (Wards) and 774 Local Government Areas nationwide while the entire register will be published on our website for claims and objections as required by law.

“The display of the physical register will take place at the designated centers from Saturday 12th – Friday 25thNovember 2022. Further details, including the procedure for filing claims and objections, will be released by the Commission next week. I would like to appeal to all Nigerians to seize the opportunity of the display to scrutinize the list and help us to clean it up further so that the final register of voters for the 2023 General Election can be compiled and published.”

Speaking further on PVCs of the new registrants, Yakubu said the printing is ongoing and it will soon be ready for collection in the next couple of days.

“The Commission is also working hard to ensure the completion of printing of remaining PVCs for new voters as well as those that applied to transfer or the replacement of their lost or damaged cards. In the coming days, we will also inform Nigerians of the detailed plan to ensure a seamless collection of the PVCs

“We are aware that Nigerians expect an improvement in the procedure for PVC collection. Since the end of the CVR in July this year, we have been working to ensure that citizens have a pleasant experience when they come to collect their cards, including collaboration with the Media for a pilot exercise in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). We are exploring the possibility of scaling up the FCT pilot for nationwide application.”

News

Tinubu will restore peaceful co-existence in Plateau – Shettima

Published

on

Vice President Kashim Shettima on Friday assured that the President Bola Tinubu’s administration would restore peace in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau within the shortest possible time.

Shettima gave the assurance when he played host to a traditional ruler from Mangu, the Mishkahan Mwaghavul, John Hirse, who led a team on a courtesy call to his office at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He said that Tinubu was on top of the situation and thus the inevitable return of peace to all troubled parts of the country.

Shettima said that every part of Nigeria would be made to feel the impact of the government under the President Tinubu administration.

He stated that ensuring that no part of the country is left out in the administration’s quest for development is the only way through which peace, unity and development could be fostered.

Shettima said that the crisis in Plateau has nothing to do with religion, saying ” it is just for us to understand ourselves and coexist peacefully with one another.

He said, ” The Plateau is a blessed land with both Muslims and Christians. What binds us together supersedes what divides us.

” This administration will deploy all resources towards addressing all the political contradictions in the bid to restore peace and harmony in the state.

“We are going to address, by the grace of God, all the internal contradictions, the political connotations and even the ethnic undertones which are part of the conflict and ensure we find a lasting solution.

“Ours is a great nation chained by so-called social contradictions that we have in the system.

” And it is absolutely essential that for peace and development of our nation, we must restore the confidence of the people and the government.”

Earlier, the Mishkahan Mwaghavul, Hirse, said he and members of his delegation were in Aso Villa to show appreciation and thank the vice-president for attending his coronation.

Shettima said that attending the coronation personally showed that Shettima is a father of all.

He commiserated with the people of Kaduna Stateand commended the vice-president for the government’s response so far.

The royal father pledged his support and that of his people to Tinubu’s administration.

Continue Reading

Money market

NDIC to pay N16.18bn liquidation dividends of 20 failed banks

Published

on

The Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) says it is prepared to conduct 100 per cent liquidation dividend payments worth N16.18 billion for depositors of 20 failed banks.
Already the corporation has asked depositors to come forward for verification and payment of their deposits that are in excess of the guaranteed sums, otherwise called “liquidation dividends”.
The NDIC Managing Director, Mr Bello Hassan, disclosed this during the NDIC Day at the ongoing 44th Kano International Trade Fair in Kano.
He gave the names of the affected banks as Liberty Bank, City Express Bank, Assurance Batik, Century Bank, Allied Bank, Financial Merchant Bank, Icon Merchant Bank, Progress Bank, Merchant Bank of Africa (MBA), Premier Commercial Bank, North South Bank and Prime Merchant Bank.
He also listed Commercial Trust Bank, Cooperative and Commerce Bank, Rims Merchant Bank, Pan African Bank, Fortune Bank, All States Trust Bank, Nigeria Merchant Bank and Amicable Bank.
Hassan said following the recent revocation of licenses for 179 Microfinance banks (MFDS) and four Primary Mortgage Banks (PMBS) by the Central Bank of Nigeria, the NDIC immediately commenced liquidation of the banks and began disbursing Insured sums to the depositors within just seven days of the closure of the microfinance banks.
“It is Important to note that out of these, the NDIC has paid N1.5 billion to 41,034 depositors of 129 MFBs and PMBs,” he said.
According to him, the payments are still ongoing and depositors with funds exceeding the standard will receive liquidation dividends after recovery of debts and sale of physical assets of the closed banks.
The managing d
irector said it was imperative to note that in the unfortunate event of bank failure, the insurance coverage for depositors varies across different banking institutions.
“While depositors of Deposit Money Banks, Primary Mortgage Banks, Non-Interest Banks, Payment Service Banks, and subscribers of Mobile Money Operators are insured up to a maximum limit of N500,000 per depositor per bank; for depositors of Microfinance Banks, the maximum insurance Limit stands at N200,000 per depositor per bank.
“These insured limits undergo process reviews by the Board of the Corporation, ensuring comprehensive coverage for the majority of depositors.
“Furthermore, depositors holding licenses exceeding the insured sums receive regular payments of the excess in the form of liquidation dividends, that also extends to the benefit of creditors and shareholders of the respective banks,” he explained.
He assured that the NDIC would continue to work in collaboration with the Central Bank of Nigeria to ensure effective supervision of banks and adherence to procedures, guidelines and the Code of Corporate Governance for banks, which safeguards the safety and stability of the Nigeria Banking system.
He called on the general public, especially traders and businessmen, to always ensure that their funds are saved in licensed banks and not kept in their homes or shops to avoid the risks of fire, theft and armed robbery.
Continue Reading

News

Nigeria losing best brains to “Japa syndrome” — AfDB president

Published

on

The President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Dr Akinwumi Adesina, has called on African leaders to create quality jobs for their teeming unemployed youths, to stem the trend of brain drain bedevilling the continent.
Adesina said in Abuja on Friday at the Second Veritas University Digital Innovations Exhibition and 12th Convocation Lecture, that Nigeria was losing its best brains to Japa syndrome.
The former Minister of Agriculture, who spoke on the convocation lecture theme: ” Africa, It’s Your Time”, tasked Nigeria to turn its huge youth demography into an asset and not a liability.
The former Minister of Agriculture who was conferred with an honorary doctorate degree by the institution, announced that Nigeria had been listed among 10 other African countries to benefit from the Bank’s $20 billion Desert-to-Power initiative.
He noted that the power project was conceived to develop 10 GW of solar power, being the largest solar zone in the world when completed.
He listed other countries to benefit from the initiative as Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, the Gambia, Guinea, Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Eritrea, and Senegal.
He also announced AfDB’s adoption of the Veritas University as a Centre of Excellence for Computer Coding for Employment.
“What Africa lacks is not money. What Africa lacks is lack of bankable ideas. Remember, money will always follow great ideas,” he said.
“As you join the workforce, technology and Artificial Intelligence will play a big role in your lives and in your enterprises.
“I expect to see many of you provide creative solutions to many of our challenges through analytics and data aggregation. There are huge opportunities in smart and digital economies of the future.
“All this matter to me personally because I do not want to see the continued exodus of young people who risk their lives to dangerously cross land and sea to go to Europe at all cost.
“The fastest way for Nigeria to dramatically expand the wealth of its economy, create jobs and provide decent work opportunity for its youth is to implement bold, effort-oriented, industrial manufacturing actions.
“This will rapidly expand foreign exchange earnings, boost income per capita and provide quality and well-paying jobs for millions of its young people,” he added.
Adesina charged the youth, both in Nigeria and Africa as a whole, to dream again while urging Africa to make us of the largest reserves of cobalt, lithium, diamonds, cocoa, nickel, copper, platinum and uranium in the world.
According to him, those resources could boast of 65 per cent of the world’s arable land and the largest deposit of solar potentials but has not materialised into wealth for the continent.
The Vice Chancellor of the University, Prof. Hyacinth Ichoku, revealed that the institution’s undergraduate enrollment had increased from 1,200 in 2018 to over 6,000.
Also, the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman Governing Council of the institution, Most Rev. Matthew Kukah urged the graduating students to be good ambassadors of the institution.
Kukah, in a bid to give back to the institution, announced a donation of N3 million to three students who demonstrated their ideas to the gathering.
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending