Property worth millions of naira lost to inferno in Ilorin

0

By SAKA Laaro, Ilorin

Fire outbreake caused by electric power surge, early Friday morning gutted a storey building of about 12 bedrooms in Sabo Oke area of Ilorin metropolis on Friday.

It was gathered that the incident happened at No. 17 Afon Close, Sabo-Oke area of the metropolis, Kwara state.

The fire incident, which threw residents of the area into pandemonium, saw many of the occupants securing varying degrees of injury.

Some of the affected victims, who lamented the impact of the inferno said that property worth millions of naira was destroyed.

The owner of the building, Mrs. A. Ibitoye, called on the state government and relevant authorities to come to the aid of the affected victims, saying that the people were already battling with the prevalent economic situation in the country.

Also speaking, the Director of the state Fire Service, Prince Falade Olumuyiwa, described the impact of the fire as huge, commending professionalism of his men.

“Although the conflagration was huge, however, our firemen were able to demonstrate high level of professionalism and in no time the ravaging inferno was totally extinguished.

“Out of the 12 bedrooms in the building, four bedrooms were consumed by the inferno, and the other remaining ones were rescued by the firemen.”

Prince Olumuyiwa urged the citizens to always cultivate the habit of switching off their electrical appliances even before bedtime, saying that it would help them to prevent chances of fire outbreaks in their various homes, and also help them to drastically reduce it.