Ekiti Govt. disburses N680m to disaster victims in 2 years

Ekiti Government says it has disbursed a total of N680 million in two years to support victims of fire and rainstorm disasters across the state.
Gov. Biodun Oyebanji made this known on Thursday while distributing cheques worth N40 million and food palliatives to another set of victims of fire and rainstorm disasters across some local government areas.
Oyebanji, represented by his Deputy, Mrs Monisade Afuye, said that the intervention demonstrated the commitment of his administration to the welfare, safety and wellbeing of residents affected by disasters.
He said that the sudden loss of multi-million-naira property, businesses and means of livelihood could be devastating, noting that no amount of assistance could completely replace what had been lost.
Oyebanji said that N205 million had so far been distributed to victims of fire disasters, while N436 million was disbursed to victims of rainstorm disasters within the period under review.
He sympathised with the victims and pledged the continued support of his administration to help them overcome the challenges and rebuild their lives.
The governor urged residents to remain vigilant, especially during the rainy season, and avoid activities that could expose them to unnecessary risks.
He specifically advised residents against indiscriminate construction on waterways and poor handling of electrical appliances in their homes.
Oyebanji also urged residents to promptly report emerging hazards to the appropriate authorities to prevent disasters and minimise their impact.
He said that the government would continue to strengthen disaster preparedness, prevention, response and recovery mechanisms across the state.
“Our goal is to build a safer, more resilient Ekiti where communities are better prepared to withstand emergencies and recover quickly when disasters occur,” the governor said.
Also speaking, Mr Kazeem Olanrewaju, Head of Operations, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ekiti and Ondo offices, pledged the Federal Government’s continued collaboration with the state government to reduce disasters.
Olanrewaju expressed concern over the increasing cases of Nigerians falling victim to natural and man-made disasters, urging state governments to develop effective policies and programmes to address the trend.
Also, Mr Oludare Asaolu, General Manager, Ekiti State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), said that the state government was concerned about the destruction of buildings, farmlands, business premises and other property by disasters.
Asaolu urged residents to take necessary precautions to prevent avoidable disasters, describing the government’s support as a direct intervention to alleviate the suffering of victims.
He assured residents that SEMA would continue to discharge its responsibilities of preventing and managing disaster cases effectively and transparently.
