Connect with us

metro

Sit-at-home: Police nab 15 suspects over shooting in Ebonyi

Published

on

The Police in Ebonyi on Friday announced the arrest of 15 persons suspected to be involved in the shooting by alleged members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), on Tuesday at the new market and Ishieke axis of the state.

The suspects while trying to enforce the seven days sit-at-home order by IPOB, shot sporadically at residents, preventing many from leaving their homes.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Faleye Olayele told reporters in Abakaliki that among the 15 suspects arrested from hideouts, were two herbalists, Okwudili Otozi and Nnenna Ali.

“They have attacked our area commander and burnt our vehicle. They have been terrorizing the state. On July 4, they came to Ishieke firing sporadically and that was on Tuesday.

“I want to tell you that 15 of them have been apprehended, together with their herbalists. We recovered arms and charms of different kinds.

Olayele said the suspects were preparing for another attack on Friday when they were arrested by the police.

“This shows that our officers are dedicated to their duties; the arrest was made possible by our men through the information we got.

While warning all criminal elements to steer clear of Ebonyi, the Police said one of the herbalists arrested claimed he was forced to join the gang.

“I did not know that they wanted to operate in Ebonyi; they came to me and requested medicine and I gave it to them, after which they forced me to join them in the bush for further preparations.

“Please, I was forced to follow them after I gave them the medicine,” Otozi claimed.

metro

Man in police net for killing 20-yr-old girlfriend

Published

on

Man in police net for killing 20-yr-old girlfriend

The police have arrested one Jamiu Salihu, 29, a suspected boyfriend of a 20-year-old university admission seeker, Miss Temitope Elemide, who was killed in Odeda Local Government Area of Ogun.

The State Police Spokesman, SP Omolola Odutola, confirmed the development to newsmen on Wednesday in Abeokuta.

Odutola described the incident as a murder case which was reported to the police on Sunday.

NEWSMEN  gathered that the victim was murdered on Sunday at her family residence in the Bosero community, Olodo, in the Odeda council area.

She was said to be preparing for the next Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, before the incident.

The police spokesperson explained that Elemide’s boyfriend had been arrested in connection with the murder.

“There was a suspected murder report on February 25, from Odeda that a lifeless body of Elemide was seen inside the room stabbed with a knife on her head and body.

“There is one Jamiu Salihu, 29-year-old boyfriend, who is suspected to have committed the heinous crime. He was (allegedly) seen coming out from the bush on the said day of the crime,” she said.

Odutola said one knife, two iron rods, and one android techno phone were recovered as exhibits.

She added that the body of the victim had been deposited in the morgue.

 

Continue Reading

metro

Police arraign man for allegedly stealing cell phone

Published

on

 

The police on Wednesday, arraigned a 32-year-old man, Alaba Lamidi, in an Ado-Ekiti Magistrate’s Court for alleged stealing of a cell phone.

Lamidi, whose residential address was not given is standing trial on a charge of stealing.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge preferred against him.

The Police Prosecutor, Insp Yomi Osuolale, had earlier informed the court that the defendant committed the offence sometime in December 2023 at about 12:00 pm at Atikankan Area in Ado-Ekiti.

Osuolale said the defendant stole one Tecno POP 2 phone valued at N100,000 belonging to Garba Umar.

He said that the offence contravened Section 302 of the Criminal Law of Ekiti State, 2021.

He urged the court to adjourn the case to enable him to study the file and assemble his witnesses.

Counsel to the defendant, Mrs Adunni Olanipekun, urged the court to grant the defendant bail, with a promise that he would not jump bail.

The Magistrate, Mrs Olubunmi Bamidele, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N20,000 with one surety in like sum.

She adjourned the case until March 21 for hearing.

 

Continue Reading

metro

Five die in Lagos-Ibadan expressway accident

Published

on

 

Five persons were confirmed dead in an accident at NASFAT turning on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway on Wednesday.

Ten others sustained injuries in the accident.

Mrs Florence Okpe, the spokesperson of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, in Ogun, confirmed the incident to newsmen in Abeokuta.

Okpe noted that the incident occurred at 9:56am and it involved a Daf truck marked KUT 561 ZZ, a Toyota Hiace bus marked GGE 84 YF and a Man diesel truck without a registration number.

She said the likely cause of the accident was dangerous driving on the part of one of the trucks.

” A total of 15 persons were involved, which comprised 11 men and four women.

” Ten were injured (six men and four women) while five persons were killed from the multiple crash,” she said.

The FRSC spokesperson said the injured victims were taken to Famobis Hospital, Mowe while the deceased were deposited at Idera Hospital morgue, Sagamu.

The Sector Commander, Anthony Uga, cautioned motorists on speed and reckless driving, advising them to drive defensively for safety.

 

Continue Reading

Trending