Connect with us

News

Set another test for Mmesoma – Ohaneze youth tells JAMB

Published

on

The Youth Wing of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide has urged the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) to bring Miss Mmesoma Ejikeme’s alleged results falsification case to rest by testing her with another examination.

Recall that Miss Ejikeme, an erstwhile student of Anglican Girls Secondary School, Nnewi in Anambra, had celebrated her emergence as a candidate with the highest score in the 2023 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

JAMB, in a statement on Sunday signed by its Spokesperson, Dr Fabian Benjamin, however, accused Miss Ejikeme of inflating her results to curry favour, adding that the result would be withdrawn as she would have to face prosecution.

Speaking with newsmen in Owerri, on Tuesday, the Financial Secretary of the Ohanaeze Youth Wing, Mazi Chinedu Arthur-Ugwa, called on the examination board to put the matter to rest by resetting the examination for Miss Ejikeme.

Arthur-Ugwa described the situation as `embarrassing’ to the candidate, JAMB, and Nigeria in general and called on the Board to immediately clear its image and that of the nation.

He added that the allegation would come with negative psychological and emotional effects on Mmesoma.

Arthu-Ugwa called on the body to “desist from causing harm” in any form or by any means on an innocent youth who had yet to be pronounced guilty by the results of ongoing investigations into the matter.

“Only another examination supervised by independent observers will bring this matter to rest and we will avail ourselves to be part of the supervision if need be,” he said.

According to him, the Board had never complained of any attempt to manipulate its website, hence the need for the board not to preempt investigations.

“Only a few years back, JAMB told us how a snake swallowed a huge sum of money in one of its offices; today we are being told that the results of an examination that should admit students into our hallowed tertiary institutions can no longer be trusted for what they are.

“JAMB must, as a matter of national importance, realise the seriousness of its role in society and stop being in the news for the wrong reasons.

“If its management can no longer hold forth, then let the Federal Government overhaul the entire board and save our country and her people from needless embarrassment’’, he said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Lagos cholera cases rise to 421, as govt intensifies response efforts

Published

on

By Sodiq Adelakun

The Lagos State Government has confirmed an increase in suspected cholera cases, with the total number now standing at 421, up from 417 reported earlier.

Commissioner for Health, Akin Abayomi, disclosed this on Saturday via his Instagram handle.

The additional four cases were reported as of June 20, 2024.

The government has activated the Emergency Operations Centre, which is working closely with partners to conduct contact tracing, community-based surveillance, awareness campaigns, sample testing, and ensuring appropriate medical treatment for confirmed cases.

So far, 35 cases have been confirmed, and 24 deaths have been reported across 20 Local Government Areas in the state.

Cholera is a food and water-borne disease caused by ingesting the bacteria Vibrio cholerae in contaminated water and food.

The World Health Organisation has also reported a global spike in cholera cases, with almost 195,000 cases and over 1,900 deaths reported in 24 countries since the start of 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Military making operational adjustment to protect farmers – DHQ

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters says operational adjustments have been made by the military to prioritise protection for farmers to ensure a successful rainy season farming.

The Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Edward Buba, made this known on Friday in Abuja while giving updates on the operations of the armed forces.

Buba said the armed forces had intensified intelligence collection effort targeted at hunting terrorists and striking them where they may be hiding and hibernating.

He said the aim was to eliminate the terrorists and the infrastructure that supports their activities.

According to him, troops will continue to employ significant firepower to neutralise terrorists and disrupt their activities across the country.

“Winning the war against the terrorist is non-negotiable,” he said.

Buba said the troops had, in different operations, neutralised 220, apprehended 395 suspects and rescued 202 kidnapped hostages in the last one week.

He added that troops recovered 432 assorted weapons and 9,004 assorted ammunition comprising three PKT guns, one G3 rifle, 83 AK47 rifles and 18 locally-fabricated guns.

Also recovered were 16 dane guns, 14 RPG bombs, one RPG launcher, two tear gas launchers, 234 smoke grenades and one bandolier.

Others include 5,893 rounds of 7.62mm special ammo, 2,064 rounds of 7.62mm NATO, 401 rounds of 9mm ammo, 200 rounds of 7.62 x 54mm, 154 rounds of 7.62 x 51mm, 195 live cartridges, and 17 magazines.

In the North-East, Buba said, the troops of Operation Hadin Kai neutralised 83 terrorists, arrested 98 suspects and rescued 61 kidnappers hostages.

Assorted arms were also recovered, he added.

In the North-Central, troops of Operations Safe Haven and Whirl Stroke neutralised 37 insurgents, arrested 102 violent extremists and rescued 113 kidnapped hostages, he said.

In the North-West, Buba said the troops of Operations Hadarin Daji and Whirl Punch, neutralised 78 terrorists, arrested 103 terrorists and rescued 68 kidnapped hostages.

Buba said the troops of Operation Delta Safe in the Niger Delta area discovered and destroyed 105 illegal refining sites with 51 dugout pits, 38 boats and 51 storage tanks.

He said the troops also recovered 215 cooking ovens, two speedboats, 44 drums, three tug boats, three barges, four wheelbarrows, one outboard engine, 15 vehicles, three motorcycles and six mobile phones.

According to him, troops recovered 1.09 million litres of stolen crude oil, 1.1 million litres of illegally refined AGO, 27,350 litres of DPK and 150 litres of PMS.

“Troops also arrested 55 perpetrators of oil theft and denied the oil thieves an estimated sum of N1.8 billion,” he said.

In the South-East, Buba said the troops of Operation UDO KA neutralised 22 terrorists, arrested 37 violent extremists, rescued 15 kidnapped hostages and also recovered a large cache of arms.

Continue Reading

News

Gov. Alia attributes success in Benue to Tinubu

Published

on

Gov. Hyacinth Alia of Benue, has attributed all his achievements in office in the last one year to President Bola Tinubu.
Alia disclosed this on Friday during his thank you tour to Makurdi/Guma Federal Constituency held in Makurdi the state capital.
He said every achievement he recorded was the handiwork of President Tinubu.
He said both the construction of roads, underpass, payment of salaries, pensions and gratuities, remodeling of Assembly Complex, State Secretariat, were possible because of the support of the President.
He said the President had given him unimaginable support and urged the people of the state to be patient with him as the President had “very good intentions for the citizenry”.
He also promised to renovate and upgrade the Ibrahim Badamosi  Babangida (IBB) Square in Makurdi to international standard.
He said the facilities at the over 30- year old square constructed during the military era were outdated and needed urgent attention.
He said his administration, which had constructed 16 township roads within the state was also constructing an underpass in Makurdi and Gboko.
According to him, more roads in the constituency would soon be awarded.
Gov. Alia further disclosed  that going forward payment of salaries and pensions would start from the 22nd of every month.
Earlier, Sen. Barnabas Gemade, Chairman Benue APC Elder’s Forum, said Gov. Alia’s coming as governor was  divine.
Gemade said that Alia’s administration had employed thousands into the state civil service and was paying regularly, adding that previous governors failed to pay with even smaller workforce.
Mr Benjamin Omakolo, Benue APC Acting Chairman, who received not less than 4000 persons who defected from other political parties into the APC within the constituency assured them of equal treatment.
The Commissioner for Health and Human Services, Dr Yanmar Ortese, commended the governor for the numerous infrastructure constructed within the federal constituency.
Ortese assured that all appointees from the constituency would continue to give their best for the administration to succeed.
Earlier, Terver Gbenda, Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Youth Organisation and Illegal Levies, said the youths would remain committed to the governor because of his achievements.
Gbenda said come 2027, the youths would still support his second term re-election.
Continue Reading

Trending