Connect with us

News

Sanwo-Olu raises N2bn private donations for security, as state records zero bank robbery in four years

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has facilitated a sum of N2 billion from the private sector as donations for security in the State.

This is coming as records hit four years of the State with no bank robbery as noted by the State’s Security Trust Fund.

For the fourth consecutive year, Lagos recorded no incident of armed robbery assault against any financial institution in the State — the longest period over the last two decades.

Governor Sanwo-Olu linked the improvement to the continuous review of the State’s security architecture and the consistent surveillance put in place to nip organised crimes in the bud.

Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday, shared this progress at the 17th Town Hall Meeting on security organised by the Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF), where stakeholders in the security circle, citizens and private sector donors met to evaluate issues relating to safety in Lagos between October 2022 and September 2023..

Lagos, however, recorded 189 cases of residential robberies under the year in review, 172 of which were successfully foiled by security operatives and 257 suspects arrested.

The Governor praised the police and sister agencies for their collaborative efforts towards combating crimes in the city, saying the State had built a stabilised security landscape compared to other parts of the country. He, however, said more challenges lied ahead to overcome.

He pointed out that the State, through LSSTF, had consistently funded operations of security agencies across communities to ensure quick response to threats and crimes, noting that the State Government had provided operational vehicles and equipment towards enhancing the capacity of security operatives.

The intervention, Sanwo-Olu said, had raised the frequency of crime-busting responses, which, he added, resulted in the unprecedented record of progress in the annals of policing in the State.

He said, “We convene here today to discuss and evaluate the trajectory of our collective effort to bolster security in Lagos. Our discussion centres around the convergence of security strategies, which is an integral component of our THEMES+ agenda. Our administration recognises security as a multifaceted challenge and we promise to continue to pursue policies and actions that will foster the well-being of all Lagosians, while we keep faith with our pledge to building a secure, and inclusive community.

“LSSTF, fueled by voluntary donations, has significantly strengthened our security architecture, providing essential vehicles and equipment. While challenges still persist, our State’s security landscape is notably more stable than many other parts of the country. We have equipped and strengthened cooperation among various safety and security agencies; our collaboration with armed security agencies through the Lagos State Security Council remains crucial in acknowledging the sacrifices made by officers and men to ensure our safety.”

Sanwo-Olu pledged that 2024 would kick off with new security measures, disclosing that his administration would be raising the fleet of patrol vehicles for security agencies by 300 units. This, he said, will be done in collaboration with local government authorities.

The Governor said Lagos Neighbourhood Safety Corps (LNSC) Agency had been repositioned to gather actionable intelligence to complement efforts by the security agencies, adding that the State’s Emergency Call Centre was undergoing operational restructuring for enhanced intelligence reporting.

“To address critical needs, the State Government, in collaboration with local authorities, will provide 300 patrol vehicles through the LSSTF at the beginning of next year. We have repositioned the neighbourhood safety agency to gather actionable intelligence to support security responses,” Sanwo-Olu said.

The Governor personally led the donation drive to LSSTF, raising N2 billion voluntary contributions to the trust fund at the event.

Oil mogul and businessman, Mr. Femi Otedola, pledged donation of N1 billion to the Fund, just as other donors turned out large donations to the cause.

Giving the report of crime situation in Lagos, Acting Commissioner of Police, Waheed Ayilara, a Deputy Commissioner of Police, said 103 firearms, 324 assorted ammunition and 279 dangerous weapons were were recovered during the year.

He said 158 cases of murder were recorded, with the incidents resulting in the death of 163 victims. Also, 18 kidnapping suspects were arrested in connection with eight incidents.

The police boss also raised the alarm on the rising cases of domestic violence and abuse, noting that 256 case of gender related violence were recorded with 333 suspects in custody.

LSSTF Executive Secretary, Dr. AbdurRazaq Balogun, said Lagos State Police Command only received nine patrol vehicles from the Federal Government within two years, stressing that the Fund used donations it received in the last 10 months to bridge the equipment shortfall within federally controlled security agencies operating in Lagos.

Lagos, Balogun said, remained the only State with 28 functioning bullet-proof vehicles, with three vehicles’ armored features being replaced every five years.

He said, “The Fund received a total of N318.75 million in cash donations and two vehicles in 2023. We continue to thank our donors as their partnership is far-reaching and critical to the success of these security activities.”

LSSTF BOT Chairman, Mr. Kehinde Durosinmi-Etti, said although economic situation in the country had affected donations to the Fund, the agency surpassed its revenue target by 94 per cent.

“The unstable economic climate largely influenced by increasing foreign exchange rates has been a major challenge to fundraising. This makes the donation drive even more pertinent for us especially, as there is no alternative to collective funding model given, the indication that the Government cannot do it alone,” Durosinmi-Etti said

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Rotary executes N68m worth of impactful projects in Plateau

Published

on

The Rotary Club of Jos Central, has executed 17 impactful projects valued at N68 million.

Mr Kayode Fasua, the club’s outgoing president, who made the disclosure on Friday evening, at a dinner/award night, said that the projects, spread across Plateau, were in line with Rotary International’s seven areas of priority.

Fasua listed some of the projects executed to include the donation of a motorised solar-powered borehole to the Alheri community, and the donation of medical equipment to some selected secondary schools in Jos.

The president added that under his leadership, the club distributed grinding machines to widows and wheelchairs to disabled persons.

He further said that the club provided uniforms, sandals, socks, school bags, and shoes to 90 students from three primary schools.

According to him, the club also donated 90 modern school desks (30 per school) to three primary schools and also provided 3,000 notebooks, with 1,000 going to each school.

“Additionally, we planted 200 economic trees in Jos East to benefit the environment.

“In addition to N14 million worth of projects, we executed a global grant project in partnership with the Rotary Club of Calgary, North Canada, and Rotary International.

”The project, worth N54 million Naira, was carried out in five communities across Plateau and Kaduna states.

“We trained 10 youths in each community in brick molding technology to help rebuild their communities that were destroyed as a result of attacks.

“We held a medical outreach in Tudun Wada, attending to over 600 inhabitants for various medical interventions, including complex gynecological procedures, thanks to Professor Ishaya Pam, former CMD of Jos University Teaching Hospital.

“We visited internally displaced persons camps in Mangu, providing foodstuffs, sanitary pads, and clothing. We also erected a peace signboard in front of the local government,” he added.

The outgoing president believed that he would be fondly remembered for a major leap in membership recruitment, stating that within one year, the club gained 29 new members.

He pointed out that the feat was the largest recruitment in the entire district, spanning 26 states.

Mr Mike Nwanoshiri, District Governor-Elect for District 9127, lauded the club president’s sterling leadership, which he said would be indelible in the history of the club and beyond.

“However, remember that our work is far from over; there are challenges, needs to be met, and lives to be changed.

“In our collective strength, we will continue to be the changemakers, the vision carriers, and the history makers in communities and beyond,” Nwanoshiri said.

Mr Hilary Ezeadilieje, Assistant District Governor, appreciated all rotarians on the Plateau, saying that achievements would not have been possible without their unflinching support.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), reports that different categories of awards were given to individuals who distinguished themselves during the rotary year.

Continue Reading

News

Ogun Govt. bars traditional rulers from signing MoUs on land

Published

on

Gov. Dapo Abiodun has issued three Executive Orders, an official said on Saturday in Abeokuta.
Two of the three orders are establishing two new agencies, while the third restrains traditional rulers from signing Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on land in the state.
Abiodun’s Special Adviser on Media and Strategy, Mr Kayode Akinmade, in a statement, listed the agencies as the Ogun State Mineral Resources Development Agency and Ogun State Landscaping and Recreation Agency.
“In addition to the establishment of these two agencies, the third executive order restrains traditional rulers from entering into any form of agreement or MoU concerning mining activities or any other land matters in their domain,” he said.
Akinmade said the Mineral Resources Development Agency would establish a working relationship with host communities in order to conduct geo-technical and geological surveys of solid mineral deposit within their domain.
“The second agency is responsible for sustaining the achievement of the Ministry of Environment in the area of environmental regeneration and restoration and through the provision of parks, gardens and recreational centres state-wide to preserve the biodiversity and ecosystem of the environment,” he added.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the governor’s aide said the three executive orders take an immediate effect.
“Executive Order One is based on Section 5(2) of the 1999 Constitution which vests in the governor the exercise of executive powers of the state for the purpose of effective governance.
“The agency shall, directly or through qualified third parties, conduct and establish working relationship with host communities and local governments for the conduct of geo-technical and geological surveys of solid mineral deposits within their domain.
“It will conduct geo-technical survey of solid mineral deposits in the state and maintain relevant data in the sector, (and) organise the solid minerals sector to the best interest of the state.
“To realise its objectives, the agency shall be funded through fees generated from regulatory agency, budgetary allocation, grants and financial intervention from both local and international development partners, as well as gifts, aid and other legitimate contributions,” he explained.
Akinmade said Executive Order Two was on the basis of the Ministry of Environment starting a massive and aggressive tree-planting campaign to complement the beautification and landscaping programmes.
”This is to ensure environmentally sustainable, healthier and beautiful society, and the agency shall administer, maintain and manage all designated parks and recreation centres in the state.
“For the purpose of realising its objectives, it shall be funded through budgetary allocation or monies received for services rendered, grants and financial intervention from both local and international development partners, as well as gifts, aids and other legitimate contributions.”
He added that Executive Order Three bars traditional rulers in the state from entering into any form of MoU with reference to mining or any other land matters.
“The State has observes the current trend in which miners and investors circumvent regulations and government oversight by encouraging traditional institutions to interfere with land management by entering into MoUs and other irregular legal arrangements.
“Therefore, all forms of traditional institutions existing within the state are hereby with immediate effect barred from entering into any form of MoU or agreement with any individual, companies or organisations seeking land within any part of the entire state for purposes of mining or industry.
”They are to forthwith refrain from issuing any form of consent letters for mining across the state.
“Any traditional institution or stakeholder in the institution who flouts this order shall be sanctioned in line with the provisions of the Kings and Chiefs’ Law and other relevant criminal statutes.
Continue Reading

News

Lagos cholera cases rise to 421, as govt intensifies response efforts

Published

on

By Sodiq Adelakun

The Lagos State Government has confirmed an increase in suspected cholera cases, with the total number now standing at 421, up from 417 reported earlier.

Commissioner for Health, Akin Abayomi, disclosed this on Saturday via his Instagram handle.

The additional four cases were reported as of June 20, 2024.

The government has activated the Emergency Operations Centre, which is working closely with partners to conduct contact tracing, community-based surveillance, awareness campaigns, sample testing, and ensuring appropriate medical treatment for confirmed cases.

So far, 35 cases have been confirmed, and 24 deaths have been reported across 20 Local Government Areas in the state.

Cholera is a food and water-borne disease caused by ingesting the bacteria Vibrio cholerae in contaminated water and food.

The World Health Organisation has also reported a global spike in cholera cases, with almost 195,000 cases and over 1,900 deaths reported in 24 countries since the start of 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending