Connect with us

News

Reps summon NAPTIP D-G over unlawful detention of alliance hospital CEO

Published

on

The House of Representatives has summoned the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), over the unlawful detention of Dr Christopher Otabor, Chief Executive Officer, Alliance Hospital Abuja.

Rep. Mike Etaba, Chairman, House Committee on Public Petition, ordered the Director-General of NAPTIP, Mrs Fatima Waziri-Azi, to appear before it on April 18.

He said that failure to appear would leave the committee with no choice than to issue a warrant of arrest.

The chairman said that it was unfortunate that NAPTIP, which detained Otabor for four days, was not at the investigative hearing.

The committee also urged the police officer who handled the alleged organ harvesting case leveled against Otabor before NAPTIP arrested and detained him to also appear before it.

“We will handle this matter the way it should, we will be thorough in our investigation and whoever is found guilty will be punished.

“This country is not a lawless country; whoever violated the Nigerian constitution will be dealt with severely.

“Everybody that is supposed to respond to the petition must be here, or we will issue an arrest warrant,’’ he said.

The committee said it was unfortunate that NAPTIP relied on social media to obtain information that led to Otabor’s detention.

The committee said such action could tarnish someone’s image, adding that such conduct was unacceptable, “this matter is too gross for our hearing.”

“We must get the date of the arrest and those involved in the arrest, including the statement from the IPO.

“Why we are discouraging the Japa syndrome, some who are preventing and helping this country to grow are hounded down, this investigative hearing will be a fact finding mission,’’ he said.

Rep. Victor Ogene (LP-Abia), a member of the committee, commended the CEO of Alliance Hospital for bringing the matter before the lawmakers.

“This is the people’s house; this suggests that you have nothing to hide, though I am not exonerating you.

“All the law enforcement agencies that are supposed to come and present their cases aren’t here.

“The D-G of NAPTIP should be summoned before this committee; she knows why she did the illegal detention. The law has prescribed a term of detention.”

“We have an organisation paying a bill of over N70 million and if the staff were driven away, you know how that will affect them and their family,’’ he said.

Earlier, Otabor said the police had earlier questioned him over allegations of organ harvesting, and found that it was untrue and some of his staff earlier detained were released.

He said following the video circulating on social media that he was involved in organ harvesting, NAPTIP without investigation ordered his arrest and detained him for four days.

Otabor said such allegation was an attempt to damage the goodwill and the reputation he had enjoyed for years, adding that NAPTIP`s  action was calculated to embarrass and lower his image.

He accused NAPTIP D-G of displaying wanton show of power, force and intimidation against him, adding that he had been a reputable multi-specialty healthcare service provider.

“In the four days I spent in detention at the premises of NAPTIP, no questions were asked regarding any investigation into any matter and my phone was not searched.

He said all the allegations against him about organ harvesting were borne out of hatred, adding that he had equally sued the newspaper that indicated his hospital in such dastard act.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Elemure of Emure-Ekiti demise sad, shocking – Oyebanji

Published

on

Gov. Biodun Oyebanji of Ekiti has expressed shock and sadness over the passing away of Elemure of Emure-Ekiti, Oba Emmanuel Adebayo.

Oyebanji, in a condolence message issued by his Special Adviser on Media, Yinka Oyebode, described the royal father’s demise as a sad development, given the fact that he did not exhibit any sign of illness during the recent meeting of traditional rulers.

He described the late Oba Adebayo as a loving and dependable traditional ruler, who loved and cared for his people and showed tremendous interest in their welfare as well as the development of Emure-Ekiti.

Oyebanji condoled with the late monarch’s family, the Elemure-in-Council and the people of the town over the exit of the royal father.

He urged them to be consoled by the fact the late oba lived an impactful life of service to the town, the state, Nigeria and humanity in general, for which he would remain unforgettable.

“My condolences and that of the government of Ekiti State to the immediate family of the late Kabiyesi, the Elemure-in-Council and the good people of Emure-Ekiti on the demise of the Elemure, Oba Emmanuel Adebayo.

“The late Oba Adebayo was a great leader of his people, a lover of development and a patriot, who devoted his early life to the service of the country.

“As a police officer, he rose to the position of Commissioner of Police before ascending the throne of his forefathers, where he also made his mark as a traditional ruler, whose reign attracted huge development to his town.

“Our prayer is that the good Lord would grant the dear departed monarch eternal rest and comfort the family and the good people of Emure-Ekiti,” the governor said.

Continue Reading

News

NSCDC vows to arrest attackers of its headquarters in Lafia

Published

on

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence  Corps (NSCDC) in Nasarawa,  says it has commenced investigation to unravel those behind the attack on its headquarters in Lafia.

Mr Jerry Victor,  the NSCDC Public Relations Officer in the state said  this in an interview with the newsmen on Tuesday in Lafia.

The unspecified number of suspected bandits attacked the NSCDC Lafia office in  the early hours of  June 17,  but were repelled by the personnel of the command.

Victor said that the state commandant of the corps, Ismaila Abdullahi, had  directed the Intelligent unit to get to the root of the attack with a view of apprehending the attackers, collaborators and sponsors.

He said  that those behind the attack would not escape justice as the command would go after them, no matter their status in the country.

Victor said that preliminary investigation  revealed that the bandits wanted to set some of their members at their custody free.

“They came in large numbers with iron rods and attempted to break some part of the command’s fence to gain entry into the facility.

“Our personnel swiftly responded by opening fire on the hoodlums, whose mission was to release some high-profile suspected criminals including informants of kidnappers in our custody,” he said.

Victor  said that the command had beefed up surveillance in and around their office to forestall future occurrence.

Continue Reading

News

NCAA praises Keyamo’s contributions toward Nigeria’s ICAO’s audit rating

Published

on

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has praised the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development,  Mr Festus Keyamo’s contributions to Nigeria’s 71.04 per cent audit rating by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).

Mr Michael Achimugu, Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection of NCAA, made the commendation before journalists on Tuesday in Lagos.

Achimugu said that Nigeria scored 71.04 per cent in the ICAO-conducted Universal Security Audit Programme-Continuous Monitoring Approach (USAP-CMA).

He said that Keyamo (SAN) and the Acting Director-General of NCAA, Capt. Chris Najomo, played huge roles during the recently-concluded ICAO’s USAP-CMA in the country’s aviation industry.

He said that Keyamo and Najomo were pivoted to the ICAO’s rating due to their leadership skills and mobilisation of human  and material resources to ensure that all gaps were closed.

The NCAA spokesman described as mischievous, comments in some quarters that the minister and Najomo were responsible for  alleged poor ratings Nigeria had.

“It is ironic that the writer blames the ‘failure’ of the security audit on the honourable minister (meaning that the minister should have intervened and done whatever was necessary to score higher).

“At the same time, the writer  blames the minister for “intervening” in security and safety issues. He needs to decide if he wants the minister to be involved or not,” he said.

Achimugu said that both Keyamo and Najomo came into office months ago and swang into action immediately to improve  infrastructure and workers’ remuneration.

“Six months ago, we met a dilapidated industry with poor infrastructure. The security and safety issues did not start in the last six months.

“Had it not been for the tireless efforts of the honourable minister and the D-G, NCAA, what we met on the ground would not have scored 30% in the audit.

“Going by what was on ground when Keyamo and Najomo assumed office, the current score is a substantially good showing, a miracle if I must say.

“The narrative being pushed out is just a part of the larger strategy to push out Keyamo and Najomo from office. It is the handwork of paid mercenaries,” he said.

According to Achimugu, ICAO auditors praised Nigeria’s performance during their final briefing at the NCAA and  mentioned that they  had complained about an absent infinfrastructure.

According to him, the auditors eventually  said that they were pleasantly surprised that the infrastructure  was made available the following day.

ICAO had in March conducted the USAP-CMA for the Abuja and Lagos airports.

Continue Reading

Trending