Connect with us

News

Plateau attacks: Gov Mutfwang vows to clamp down on drug peddlers

Published

on

Gov. Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau has vowed to clamp down on drug peddlers in the state, saying that drug abuse was largely responsible for the rising insecurity in the state.

The governor said this on Friday when he visited communities affected by the recent attacks in Mangu Local Government Area and other parts of the state.

He expressed his deep pain at the sight of the carnage and wanton destruction of lives and property during the attacks.

Mutfwang said that the killings were a reflection of drug usage, stressing that the business of peddling illicit drugs must come to an end.

“Of course, there was the involvement of drugs; this is something we must tackle to be able to address the issues of the drug menace in our society.

“This is why we want to use this medium to tell those in drug business to know that their time on the Plateau is up; we will not tolerate it any longer.

“We will go after them, and if they have anywhere they want to do their business, Plateau is certainly not the place,” he said.

Mutfwang called on the citizens to be wary  of people who are bent on causing division in the state, adding that the recent security challenge was a deliberate act to cripple the economy of the state.

He advised those giving support to criminals to have a rethink as his administration would do all it could to ensure that external aggressors were kept out and those within were dealt with.

While at the palace of the paramount ruler of Mwaghavul in Mangu, Mr John Hirse, Mutfwang expressed great sadness and pain over the quantum of destruction.

He particularly empathised with the people of Kwahaslalek community, where 27 persons were burnt alive and expressed dismay at the carnage in Mangu town.

“I can’t imagine the loss of humanity; I can’t believe human beings could be this callous. I imagine the pain of the 27 persons burnt to death by the wicked ones.

“I sympathise with the families of those who lost their loved ones; the way the merchants of conflicts have tried to package the carnage as a quarrel between brothers is unfortunate.

“These people are deliberately bent on destroying the economy of Mangu; today is Mangu market day and it is an international market, so one can only imagine the losses with the looting and burning of foodstuffs.

“So, I appeal to you all not to allow people who are bent on dividing us to succeed; our youths should desist from taking the law into their hands.

”If anyone is giving room to criminals to operate, it is time to love your brother more than a friend that is a criminal,” he said.

Speaking, Hirse lauded the governor for the visit, adding that the move showed that he means well for the  people of the state.

The traditional ruler urged the governor to remain focused, in spite of the deliberate attempts to distract him.

He also appealed to the governor to do everything within his powers to ensure that those displaced by the attacks return to their original abodes without delay.

Hirse, who lamented that the people had been deprived of their possessions and sources of livelihood, urged the governor to provide palliatives to enable them bounce back.

“Don’t be distracted; all these happenings are aimed at distracting and derailing your focus toward bringing good governance to the people of Plateau,” Hirse advised Mutfwang

News

Kano Court sacks Ganduje as APC Chairman

Published

on

The Kano State High Court has sacked Abdullahi Ganduje as the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The Court granted an ex parte order restraining the Ganduje from parading himself as a member of the party.

Subsequently, the court ordered that henceforth, Ganduje should desist from presiding over all affairs of the National Working Committee of the APC.

The application granted by Justice Usman Na’abba on Tuesday followed an ex parte motion filed by Dr. Ibrahim Sa’ad on behalf of two executive members of Ganduje’s ward, Dawakin-Tofa Local Government Area, the Assistant Secretary, Laminu Sani and Legal Adviser, Haladu Gwanjo (plaintiffs), who were part of the nine ward executives who suspended Ganduje on Monday.

The court directed the four parties (respondents) joined in the matter, including the APC, NWC, APC Kano State Working Committee, and Ganduje, to henceforth, maintain status quo ante belum as of April 15, 2024, pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit on April 30, 2024.

Justice Na’abba, also held as prayed, stopped State Working Committee APC Kano from interfering with the legally and validly considered decision of executives of Ganduje ward, essentially on action endorsed by a two-thirds majority of the executives as provided by the party constitution.

The ex parte order read, “An order is hereby granted directing all parties in the suit APC (first), APC National Working Committee (second), Kano State Working Committee APC (third), Dr. Abdullah Umar Ganduje (fourth), to maintain status quo ante belum as of April 15, 2024.

“The order thereby restraining the first respondent (APC) from recognising the fourth respondent (Ganduje) as a member of APC and prohibiting the fourth respondent (Ganduje) from presiding over any affairs of the NWC and restraining the state Working Committee from interfering with the legally and validly decision of the ward executives of Ganduje ward.

“That the fourth respondent (Ganduje) is prohibited from parading himself as a member of APC or doing any act that may portray him or seem to be a member of APC pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.”

Nine members of the Ganduje ward proclaimed the suspension of the National Chairman of the APC over the allegation of corruption slammed on him by the Kano State Government.

The nine APC executives said they were prompted to act following a petition written by one Ja’afaru Adamu, a member of the APC from the National Chairman’s polling unit.

In the petition, Adamu complained over allegations of corruption charges against the former governor just as he urged the ward leaders to investigate the matter to redeem the dented image of the party and the implication on President Bola Tinubu’s fight against corruption.

Although the chairman and secretary of the ward failed to act on the petition filed on April 8, 2024, nine members of the executives, led by the legal adviser, acted upon the petition, a decision that led to Ganduje’s suspension.

Continue Reading

News

Ogun Assembly passes Assembly Commission Amendment bill

Published

on

The Ogun House of Assembly on Wednesday passed the State House of Assembly Service Commission (Amendment) Bill, 2024.

The passage of the bill followed  presentation of the Committee’s report by the Chairman, House Committee on Establishments and Public Service Matters, Mr Babatunde Tella at plenary in Abeokuta.

Tella moved the motion for its adoption, seconded by Mr Adeyanju Adegoke and supported by all the members.

The bill was later read and adopted clause by clause before the Committee of Whole.

The Majority Leader, Mr Yusuf Sheriff, moved the motion for the third reading of the bill, seconded by the Minority Leader, Mr Lukmon Adeleye and supported by the Whole House through a unanimous voice vote.

Consequently, the Deputy Clerk of the House, Mrs Funmilayo Adeyemi, took the third reading of the bill before the lawmakers.

The Speaker, Mr Oludaisi Elemide, directed that the clean copy of the bill be forwarded to Gov. Dapo Abiodun for his assent.

Continue Reading

News

Abuja court gives EFCC go-ahead to arrest ex-Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello

Published

on

A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Wednesday, ordered that a warrant be issued to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for immediate arrest of former Governor of Kogi, Alhaji Yahaya Bello.

Justice Emeka Nwite, in a ruling on EFCC’s ex-parte motion, held that after listening to the submission of commission’s counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, and reading the affidavit in support of the motion, including the exhibits and written address, he was inclined to grant the application.

It was earlier reported that a High Court sitting in Lokoja on Wednesday, restrained the EFCC from arresting, detaining and prosecuting Bello

Justice I.A Jamil, who gave the order in a two-hour judgment delivered in suit no HCL/68/M/2020, held that infringing on Bello’s “fundamental human rights is null and void.”

The judge, who dismissed the commission’s application challenging the jurisdiction of the court, said: “By this order, the EFCC is hereby restrained from arresting, detaining and prosecuting the applicant.

“This is a definite order following the earlier interim injunction given.”

However, in a ruling delivered by Justice Nwite on Wednesday, the judge ordered that a warrant be issued to the commission for Bello’s immediate arrest.

He also directed that the former governor be produced before the court on April 18 for arraignment.

“It is hereby ordered as follows:

“That an order of this honourable court is hereby made directing and/or issuing a warrant for the immediate arrest of the defendant for the purpose of bringing him before this honourable court for arraignment.

“That case is adjourned to 18th day of April, 2024 for arraignment,” he declared.

NAN reports that the EFCC, in the motion ex-parte marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/98/2024 dated April 16 and filed April 17, sought six orders.

These include “an order granting leave to the complainant/applicant to effect service of the charge together with the proof of evidence on the defendant by substituted means to wit; by pasting the charge at the last known address of the defendant within the jurisdiction of this honourable court being: 9, Benghazi Street, Wuse Zone 4, Abuja.

“An order directing and/or issuing an arrest warrant for the immediate arrest of the defendant for the purpose of bringing him before this honourable court for arraignment.”

In the alternative, the anti-graft agency sought an order issuing and directing the publishing of a public summons requiring/ commanding the defendant to appear before the court on a named date, among others.

The conflicting orders came after the EFCC had appealed against the initial order, and the appeal was scheduled for hearing on April 22 in Appeal No: CA/ABJ/CV/175/2024 between EFCC and Alhaji Yahaya Bello.

The Yahaya Bello Media Office had, in a statement signed by Onogwu Mohammed, alerted the nation to a siege on the former Governor’s Abuja residence.

Continue Reading

Trending