Connect with us

News

PAP seeks partnership with NPA, restates Commitment to tackling unemployment, restiveness

Published

on

The Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP) says it  has been repositioned to tackle unrest and unemployment in the Niger Delta by partnering with the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA).
It said the PAP was aimed at empowering youths in the area with requisite skills.
Interim Administrator of PAP,  Maj.- Gen. Barry Ndiomu, disclosed this during a courtesy call to the Managing Director of Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Mohammed Bello-Koko   in Lagos on Friday.
Ndiomu solicited the partnership of the authority for some of its programmes, especially the Deep Sea Diving School in Rivers State.
The interim Administrator  said he had redirected the programme to its primary objective of boosting the capacity of youths in the Niger Delta.
 “When I took over in September 2022, I discovered that the programme had been drifting away from the core objectives of why it was established.
“I have to redirect the vision towards the initial concept, which is essentially to build the capacity of the teeming restive youths in the region.
“Like they say, ‘an idle mind is the devil’s workshop’. When these boys are jobless, what do you expect from them? They engage in criminal activities, including pipeline vandalism, piracy and other activities which affect the economy,” he said.
According to him, PAP has five vocational centres, which were established with different specialisations such as in Agadagba in Ondo state aimed at training youths in oil and gas related activities.
He said the one in Bomadi, Delta had the objectives of building capacity in energy related activities while the one in Rivers is for deep sea diving training.
He said it was regrettable that the centre in Boro town, Bayelsa was vandalised after its completion.
Ndiomu solicited technical support as well as long-term strategic collaboration in utilising one of the jetties of the NPA for the deep sea diving school in Rivers.
 “I want to solicit your support and assistance with a view to using one of your jetties in Rivers which we can develop further together for the purpose of the deep sea diving school and other related marine training.
“This is one area we can get the youths to create sustainable livelihood. These boys are willing to learn. Many of them have been trained but sadly, they are unemployed.
“I don’t think this is in the best interest of the country. We have been managing them by paying them the recommended stipend monthly but it is not the right way to go, because, we are indirectly encouraging the culture of indolence and dependency.
“It is not something we should encourage in our youths, rather we should give them the opportunity to be self-reliant and contribute meaningfully to the economy,” he added.
In his response, Bello-Koko commended Ndiomu for boosting the capacity of youths in the Niger Delta, adding that the programme had helped in addressing unrest in the region.
He assured Ndiomu and his team of the willingness of NPA to provide technical support and other assistance needed for the success of the deep sea diving school.
Bello-Koko said the authority had improved activities in the ports in the region as a way of gainfully engaging the youths through provision of jobs.
“For us in NPA, we have tried to improve activities of our ports in the region as a way of tackling restiveness, because with these activities, jobs are created and the youths are engaged.
“We will work with you to give you all the support you need. We will work with you to see any available jetty for the purpose you want to use it for.
“When it comes to deep sea diving and other marine related training, we have experienced staff here that we can always send to you to offer training and advisories whenever the need arises.
“We have tried as much as possible to have a very good working relationship with the host communities in the Niger Delta Region.
“We have seen a reduction in restiveness, because of what you have been doing as well as our engagement with the host communities.
“We also seek your support when you are engaging with the communities around the port locations; they need to realise that their action and inaction will determine how viable the ports are,” he said.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FA Cup: All you need to know about quarter-final draw

Published

on

 

The quarter-final draw for this season’s FA Cup will be conducted on Wednesday night.

It will be completed before Chelsea’s fifth-round clash with Leeds United at Stamford.

The host for the draw is Seema Jaswal and he will be assisted by former Arsenal goalkeeper, David Seaman.

The teams that have confirmed their spots in the last eight already are Coventry City, Manchester City, Leicester City and Newcastle United.

There are still four fixtures to be decided including Chelsea vs Leeds, Liverpool vs Southampton, Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United and Wolves vs Brighton.

The numbers for the draw are:

1 Newcastle United

2 Chelsea or Leeds United

3 Leicester City

4 Liverpool or Southampton

5 Nottingham Forest or Manchester United

6 Wolverhampton Wanderers or Brighton & Hove Albion

7 Coventry City

8 Manchester City

 

Continue Reading

News

FA Cup: You deserves Ballon d’Or – Man City star to De Bruyne

Published

on

 

Manchester City midfielder, Mateo Kovacic has said that teammate, Kevin De Bruyne deserved a Ballon d’Or in his career.

Kovacic said this following De Bruyne’s impressive display in Man City’s FA Cup 6-2 win over Luton Town on Tuesday.

Recall that De Bruyne gave Erling Haaland four assists during the encounter as the Norway international scored five goals.

Speaking after the game, Kovacic, who was also on the score sheet, said (via City Report):

“Kevin’s career is amazing; a player that deserves to have a Ballon d’Or.”

 

Continue Reading

metro

Security guards arraigned for allegedly stealing property worth N685,000

Published

on

 

Two men, Gabriel Godwin and John Julius, were, on Wednesday, arraigned before a Kaduna Chief Magistrates’ Court for allegedly stealing property valued at N685,000 from a house.

The defendants of no fixed residential addresses are facing a two-count charge of break-in and stealing, to which they, however, pleaded not guilty.

Earlier, the Prosecutor, Chidi Leo, informed the court that the defendants committed the offences on February 16 at No. 3, Doka Street, Narayi, Kaduna.

Leo said the defendants and two others at large broke into the house of the complainant, Mr Aaron Okoro, and stole his property.

He said the defendants and their accomplices stole some clothes, valued at N240,000, jewellery, worth N195,000 and two TV sets, valued at N250,000.

The prosecutor stated that they also damaged the complainant’s door, worth N50,000 while trying to enter the house.

According to him, the offences contravene the Penal Code of Kaduna State, 2017.

The Magistrate, Ibrahim Emmanuel, granted the defendants bail in the sum of N100,000 each and two sureties each in like sum.

Emmanuel ordered that the sureties must be civil servants on salary Grade Level 09 and reside within the court’s jurisdiction.

He adjourned the case till March 18 for hearing.

 

Continue Reading

Trending