Connect with us

Crime

My wife is occultic, killed her first child — Man tells court

Published

on

An Ado-Ekiti Customary Court on Thursday dissolved a 23-year-old marriage between Isiaka Odeyemi and his wife, Feyisola Olapeju.

The marriage was dissolved on grounds of incessant fighting deeply rooted in fetish threats with charms and no rest of mind by the wife.

Odeyemi said his wife was occultic and deeply rooted in fetish things.

He alleged that his wife worships things with alcohol and kola nut which he did not support.

According to him, his wife killed her first child and the two children she had for him are not doing well.

The father of two said he suspects that the children were into internet fraud popularly known as ‘Yahoo Yahoo.’

He alleged that his wife does not give him rest of mind, saying that she was fond of fighting with him.

Odeyemi said he fought with his wife on one occasion and asked her to pack her belongings but the children threatened that he must not send their mother away.

The complainant prayed the court to separate them.

They are blessed with two children namely; Femi Odeyemi (22) male and Taye Odeyemi (19) male.

The respondent said the complainant was her husband and she agreed to marry him and had her first child for him in Abeokuta, saying he was the one that asked her to come back to Ado-Ekiti.

Feyisayo said when she came back, they jointly built a two-bedroom flat.

She said her husband was in support of her religion, saying he takes her to the Ifa temple in the morning and comes to pick her up in the evening.

She said that she was told to worship Ifa and her husband also participated in the worship, insisting they worshipped Ifa together in her room.

Feyisola said when her husband started complaining about the Ifa issue, she returned it to the owner, who told her to worship it.

She said that she gave her husband peace in the house but when she greets him, he will not answer her.

She denied that her children are into internet fraud but said they are doing fine.

The respondent said she did not have relatives in Ado-Ekiti and had been begging the complainant because she wants both of them to train the children together.

The President of the Court, Mrs Foluke Oyeleye, observed that the marriage had broken down irretrievably and consequently dissolved the marriage.

Oyeleye ordered that both the complainant and respondent are free to do as they please because the court could not separate what was not in existence.

She ruled that though the parties had been cohabiting for 23 years, all the requirements of a valid marriage were absent in this relationship.

The Judge said there was no marriage between the parties and they were free to go their separate ways.

Crime

EFCC arraigns 5 for illegal crude oil deal

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on Monday, charged five defendants before a Federal High Court in Lagos, over an illegal deal in petroleum products.

The defendants are: Mt Vinnalaris (a vessel), Azeez Abubakar, Wisdom Borborley, Samuel Akpan and Freedom Otuagoma

They appeared before Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke on two counts bordering on unlawful deal in petroleum products.
After the charge was read to them, they pleaded guilty.

Following their plea, the prosecutor, Mr R.A. Abdurasheed, informed the court that the prosecution had filed the plea bargain agreement with the defendants, before the court.

Consequently, the court adjourned the case until April 25, for adoption of plea bargain agreement.
The court, however, ordered that the defendants remain in custody of the prosecution till then.

In the charge, the defendants were said to have committed the offence sometime in 2023, while on the Nigerian maritime domain.

They were alleged to have dealt in 515.8 litres of crude oil without lawful authority.
The offence contravenes the provisions of Section 1(17) and 3(6) of the Miscellaneous Offences Act, Cap M17 Law of the Federation 2004.

Continue Reading

Crime

Tragedy: Teenager fatally stabs friend in Adamawa, another fakes kidnap in Delta

Published

on

The Adamawa Police Command has announced that it is preparing to arrest an 18-year-old suspect for fatally stabbing and killing his friend during a fight.

This was disclosed in a statement the command shared on Sunday, according to the command, both persons were brought to the hospital following a knife fight, with one being confirmed dead.

The Adamawa Police Command confirmed the grim development, revealing that the confrontation culminated in both individuals being rushed to the hospital with knife-inflicted injuries.

Tragically, one of them, Usman Abubakar, did not survive his wounds, while his friend, Usman Umar, now battles severe injuries, including head trauma, and awaits arrest for culpable homicide.

The motive behind the altercation, described as a “minor argument,” underscores the fragility of human interactions and the dire consequences of unchecked aggression.

The Command’s spokeswoman, SP Suleiman Nguroje, while commenting on the incident urged restraint and patience in resolving conflicts.

“Stop fighting amongst yourselves and be patient,” she implored, echoing the sentiments of a community reeling from the senseless loss of young life.

As police detectives delve deeper into the circumstances surrounding the tragedy, questions linger about the underlying factors contributing to such violence among adolescents.

Meanwhile, in Delta State, a different form of deception unfolded as authorities uncovered the elaborate hoax orchestrated by a 17-year-old boy in the Agbor area.

The teenager, whose identity is withheld, staged his own kidnapping, setting off a chain of events that would ultimately unravel his deceit.

Commissioner of Police Abaniwonda Olufemi, addressing the media during the parade of suspects, revealed the extent of the teenager’s deception, disclosing that he had squandered the ransom paid before his apprehension.

The brazen act of fabricating a kidnapping not only squandered valuable law enforcement resources but also eroded trust within the community, underscoring the importance of accountability and integrity.

As these communities grapple with the aftermath of these incidents, there is a pressing need for introspection and proactive measures to address the root causes of such behavior among youth.

Beyond law enforcement interventions, stakeholders must prioritize education, mental health support, and conflict resolution strategies to foster a culture of peace and understanding among the next generation.

In the face of tragedy and deception, the resilience of these communities will be tested, but through collective action and unwavering commitment to justice, they can strive towards a safer and more harmonious future.

Continue Reading

Crime

Abductors of wife to former CoS of Ortom, cook demand N100m ransom

Published

on

…As Benue Governor orders security agencies to fish out kidnappers

By Titus Atondu, Makurdi

The gunmen who attacked former Chief of Staff to the ex- Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, Honourable Terwase Orbunde, on Friday evening and abducted his wife and cook have demanded N100 million ransom for their release.

In a statement signed by Tahav Agerzua made available to Nigerian NewsDirect, Honourable Orbunde, who is being treated for gunshot injuries in hospital at Makurdi said the abductors spoke to him at about 8:30am on Saturday themselves and through the captives.

The former Chief of Staff said his wife and cook were very calm when they spoke with him.

He further revealed that during the attack which took place at about 6pm on Friday the gunmen spoke Fulani among themselves and communicated with him in Hausa saying they would contact him on phone.

The former Chief of Staff said they told him that he should be prepared to send money to them and that if he failed to do that they would kill his wife and cook.

It could be recalled that on Friday April 12 gunmen attacked Honourable Orbunde when he went to supervise work on his farm between Genocide Cemetery and Angus Memorial College, along Mobile Barracks-Welfare Quarters Road in Makurdi, the Benue State capital.

The former Chief of Staff was shot on the forearm while his wife, Mrs Abigail Kashimana Orbunde, and cook, Patience Ogute, were abducted and taken to an unknown destination.

Meanwhile, Benue State Governor, Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia has directed security agencies in the state to ensure criminal elements disrupting the peace of the state are fished out and brought to justice.

He said that he is ready and willing to continue to provide the necessary support needed by the security agencies to ensure the state is cleaned of all nefarious activities.

The Governor gave the directives when he received a briefing concerning the attack on Mr. Terwase Orbunde, former Chief of Staff  to former Governor Samuel Ortom, and the subsequent abduction of his wife and housemaid by unknown gunmen.

He condemned in strong terms the unfortunate incident, saying, “I am shocked and dismayed by this barbaric act.”

“I have said this, and I must keep saying it. Security should, and must be everyone’s concern. The law enforcement agencies and the government need information. Make it a culture that anytime you see something, you say something”, he said.

He pointed out that while insecurity has become a global issue and is not peculiar to Benue alone, he will continue working round the clock to secure every life and property in the state.

He assured all Benue residents that security is a top priority in his administration, and that matters of insecurity will soon be a thing of the past.

Continue Reading

Trending