Connect with us

News

How reporter breached our system to serve twice – NYSC

Published

on

Following a recent report by a Daily Nigerian reporter exposing the racketeering of certificates by Foreign universities, the National Youth Service Corps Scheme (NYSC) has disclosed how the reporter was able to enlist again to serve in the scheme.

According to the reporter, he had been mobilised earlier for the compulsory one-year programme in 2019 before his remobilisation last year for the purpose of the investigation he was carrying out.

Speaking on a Channels Television programme on Thursday, the Director of Public Affairs, NYSC, Mr Eddy Megwa, said the reporter changed his email address and phone number to be drafted again into the scheme.

“It is not that we don’t have checks and balances in place to detect possible breaches of the system. When the undercover reporter first put in his data, the system rejected him because he had served in the scheme before. He later changed his email address and his phone number which made the system accept him. And he was initially posted to Osun State.

“He did that because he was out for a particular purpose. We are looking at the situation and ensuring that it does not happen again. We don’t have a database of graduates to serve in the scheme. We only rely on the lists sent to us by the Senates of the various universities, stating the number of graduates to expect from them,” he said.

The NYSC Director explained that the use of the National Identification Number (NIN) was incorporated into the scheme three years ago.

However, he was unable to explain why the differences in the reporter’s biodata in NIN and what the reporter put in for his second mobilisation were not enough to raise a flag for the scheme to detect him.

He added that: “It is not our duty to assess their certificates, but we have resorted to inviting foreign students and giving them tests to know their abilities.

“In the course of doing that, we have made startling discoveries. Ask some of them to write a simple essay, you will be surprised at what you get. I have some of such materials that I can show you. NYSC is an elite scheme, not for illiterates and the means of communication is English Language. In 2006, the then DG of NYSC, Brig.- Gen. Yusuf Momoh, went to an orientation camp and asked a supposed corps member the title of his final project, the answer he gave was incredulous and further investigation revealed that his name was smuggled into the list of graduates from a particular university.”

Megwa added that the scheme was collaborating with the Federal Ministry of Education, Foreign Affairs Ministry and other agencies to track people going for foreign studies and when they come back with their certificates.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government has placed a ban on graduates from 18 foreign universities and also set-up a committee to appraise the whole system of accrediting foreign universities.

News

State police non-negotiable — Jonathan

Published

on

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has described state police as a non-negotiable entity that Nigeria must establish.

Mr Jonathan, who was president from 2010-2015, said the conversation must shift to the prevention of abuse by governors.

He stated this on Monday at the ongoing dialogue on state police organized by the House of Representatives.

He said most times governors abuse institutions, however, the challenges are not sufficient to stop the creation of state police.

The former president said state police was wildly accepted by the delegates at the 2014 Confab.

“We can only end kidnapping and other forms of insecurity through the creation of state police,” Mr Jonathan said.

Mr Jonathan’s stance contradicts the position of the inspector general of police, Kayode Egbetokun, who opposed the establishment of state police.

Earlier, in his opening remarks, the Deputy Speaker of the House, Ben Kalu argued that the current security situation in Nigeria requires a multilayer approach to insecurity.

He stated that over N5 billion has been paid in ransoms to kidnappers, a figure that starkly exposes the alarming growth of this criminal enterprise in the country.

Continue Reading

News

Edo Guber: INEC releases final list of candidates

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has announced the final list of candidates for the forthcoming Edo State Governorship Election.

This is even as the Commission said that the political parties are permitted to start campaign in public from Wednesday 24th April 2024.

The campaigns will end at midnight on Thursday 19th September 2024.

In a statement by Sam Olumekun,
National Commissioner & Chairman,
Information and Voter Education Committee, INEC disclosed that 17 political parties have fielded candidates for the election out of which 16 are male while one is female.

Olumekun said the final list has been published at INEC’s office in Edo State and also uploaded to the Commission’s website and social media platforms for public information.

“The Commission is pleased to announce the publication of the final list of candidates for the Edo State Governorship Election. Following the initial primaries, the Commission published the personal particulars of the Governorship candidates and their running mates in our State and Local Government offices in Edo State.

“Overall, seventeen (17) political parties are fielding candidates in the election. Sixteen (16) are male while one (1) is female. The final list, which also gives the breakdown of the candidates by age, academic qualifications and disability, has been published at our office in Edo State and also uploaded to our website and social media platforms for public information.

“With the publication of the final list of candidates for the Edo State Governorship Election, the next activity is electioneering campaign.

“Therefore, Political Parties are now permitted to start campaign in public from Wednesday 24th April 2024 and end at midnight on Thursday 19th September 2024 as indicated in items 8 and 12 of the Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the election,” parts of the statement read.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu unveils African Counter-Terrorism summit

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu unveiled the African Counter-Terrorism Summit at the Office of the National Security Adviser in Abuja on Monday.

The event which is currently ongoing and organised by Nigeria, with support from the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism, will be held from Monday to Tuesday, April 23, 2024, with the theme: ‘Strengthening Regional Cooperation and Institution Building to Address the Evolving Threat of Terrorism’.

The Presidency announced on Sunday that the summit aims to enhance multilateral counter-terrorism cooperation.

Details later…

Continue Reading

Trending