Connect with us

News

FG student loan: Over 60,000 have applied — NELFUND

Published

on

The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) has disclosed that it has received over 60,000 applications from students of Federal Government institutions since it launched the students loan application portal.

However, NELFUND revealed that 30,000 applications have been successfully processed.

NELFUND also said so far, 90 percent of federal universities have submitted their students’ data to its dashboard, adding that 10 percent of federal institutions were yet to submit theirs.

Besides, the students loan agency declared that its portal for submission of data from state owned tertiary education begins in three weeks time.

To this end, it appealed to state institutions to begin submission of data of their students for onward processing.

Details later…

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Lagos confirms 17 cholera cases, 15 deaths

Published

on

The Lagos State government has confirmed 17 cholera cases out of 350 suspected cases in 29 wards in the state.

According to a statement on Saturday, the state government said it has recorded 15 fatalities from the cholera outbreak.

The statement signed by the Director of Public Affairs at the state Ministry of Health, Tunbosun Ogunbanwo, noted that the government has activated its Public Health Emergency Operations Centre at Mainland Hospital, Yaba, Lagos.

It said the PHEOC was convened to address the increasing number of severe gastroenteritis cases across multiple LGAs in the state.

The statement added that the Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, disclosed this while speaking on steps taken to control the outbreak in Lagos State.

“He revealed that 350 suspected cases of cholera were reported in 29 wards across multiple LGAs in Lagos State with 17 confirmed cases and 15 fatalities so far,” the statement partly read.

The commissioner was quoted as saying, “The laboratory investigation and test results have so far confirmed Cholera sub-type O-1. This subtype is associated with more severe disease. The pattern of new cases per day varies across LGAs, according to our ongoing surveillance and monitoring updates.

Continue Reading

News

Digital hajj operation a sure check against illegal pilgrims – NAHCON

Published

on

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON), says the introduction of digital hajj operation by the Saudi authorities has prevented illegal pilgrims from gaining access to hajj camps this year.

Its Executive Chairman, Malam Jalal Arabi, stated this during a Special National Prayer Session held at the plain of Arafat in Mina, Saudi Arabia, on Saturday.

Arabi said that the digital hajj was the best way to guard against infiltrators and would ensure the pilgrims got value for their money.

“In 2023 or 2022 hajj, you could see faces that were not eligible to be here who must have found their ways in.

“But with some of the technologies introduced, you can’t come in here unless you are a genuine pilgrim.

“What people tend to forget is that any illegible pilgrim that has found his way here is displacing an eligible pilgrim; in other words, all the pilgrims that are here paid their money for the services.

“The money they paid covers where they will sleep, the bus they will ride and the food they will eat. So, imagine people coming to displace such people.

“I like this innovation that was introduced that says you must have to have a card that gives you access; you have to carry your visa, which will be scanned before even getting to your accommodation.

“The bus is labelled in so many ways. With the improvement in the services in the tent, you will know that things are working according to plan; you are bound to have your space and enjoy without any hindrance. ”

On the significance of the national prayer, Arabi said that prayer had become part and parcel of any successful pilgrimage.

According to him, organising special national prayer for Nigeria has been the tradition of NAHCON which he met on ground.

“But this time around, because of the volume of those that have been invited to join the team of scholars, you could see that it has wider spread.

“We spent much more time than in the past. I think that is a good sign,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu orders reorganisation of Bureau of Public Procurement

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has directed the resignation of Mr Mamman Ahmadu as Director-General/Chief Executive Officer of the Bureau of Public Procurement.

Chief Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President, Media and Publicity, in a statement on Saturday, said that the directive was part of a larger reorganisation effort in the public procurement system.

“The goal is to reposition the agency for greater efficiency and transparency.

“The Director-General is to hand over to the most senior officer in the Bureau, pending the appointment of a new Director-General.

“The President thanks Ahmadu for his services and wishes him success in his future endeavours,” the statement said.

Continue Reading

Trending