#EndSARS: Oyigbo Police Area Command burnt in Rivers


The Police Command in Rivers has confirmed  an attack on its Area Command in Oyigbo Local Government Area in  the early hours of Wednesday.

The Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Nnamdi Omoni, confirmed the attack to newsmen in Port Harcourt.

“Yes, I can confirm that the Station in Oyigbo had been attacked but I am yet to know the extent of damage done as we are on our way there,” Omoni said.

It was also learnt that another Police Station in Afam, Oyigbo LGA, was attacked by some  alleged hoodlums.

Our correspondent observed serious tension on  some of the major roads in the state, such as in  Ikwerre, Ada-George, Iwofe, Oil Mill/East-West and Oyigbo.

At the Mile 1 Divisional Police Station in Port Harcourt, officers at the station, for fear that they might be   attacked, did not allow youths to walk past their gate.

They shot in the air to disperse the protesting youths, but as some of them remained undaunted, one of them was allegedly  shot in the thigh.

The youths quickly mobilised and took the wounded one away in a  wheel barrow  to an undisclosed hospital for treatment.

Some of the youths who spoke on anonymity said that they were not surprised at the action of the policemen.

They said that they were just marching peacefully but the policemen did not allow them  to cross their gate which is along  the road, may be for fear of  being attack.

They added that they were participating in the nationwide protest against  SARS uncivilised activities.

“We don’t want anything SARS or its likes again. We have suffered greatly in their hands.” Cone of the protesters said.

Some commuters who ran for their lives could not tell our correspondent the reason for the running as the protesting youths were peaceful.

At Ikoku Junction on Ikwerre Road, youths were sighted burning tyres and chanting, “EndSARS, EndBadGovernance,  and EndOppression.”

It was also observed that businesses which opened normally in the morning in the area  immediately closed down following shootings  by policemen.

A shopkeeper who closed his shop  as at 1.30 p.m. said that he was forced to do so as the police had  got themselves involved and “nobody knows how this will end.”