Connect with us

Crime

Court orders remand of former Kaduna Assembly member in Kuje Correctional Centre

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday, ordered Mr Suleiman Dabo, the immediate-past member of Kaduna State House of Assembly representing Zaria Constituency, to be remanded in Kuje Correctional Centre pending ruling in his bail plea.

Justice James Omotosho gave the order following Dabo’s arraignment by the police on a seven-count charge bordering on alleged fraud to the tune of N30 million.

It was gathered that Dabo was arraigned alongside his company, Ohman International Venture Ltd., in the charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/363/2021, as 1st and 2nd defendant.

In count one, the ex-lawmaker and his company, sometime in October and November, 2017, were alleged to have conspired to obtain the sum of N30 million by false pretence from Mrs Folashade S. Mojeolaoluwa.

In count two, Dabo and the company, sometime in October and November, 2017, were alleged to have defrauded Mrs Folashade S. Mojeolaoluwa of the sum of N30 million through a GTBank Account No: 0172410075 with account name: Ohman International Venture Limited.

It alleged that the defendants had, on the pretence of selling a scrap vessel ship known as ADNAN 101, committed the act “when you presented yourself to Mrs Folashade S. Mojeolaoluwa as the bonafide owner of the scrap ship.”

In count three, they were alleged to have converted the N30 million to themselves, the property derived directly from the proceeds of theft with the aim of concealing or disguising the illicit origin of the money.

The offences were said to be contrary to Section 8 and punishable under Section 1 (3) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act and Section 15(1) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act LFN 2011, among others.

However, they both pleaded not guilty to the seven counts.

Police counsel, Mathew Omosun, prayed the court to order his remand in view of his non guilty plea.

But A.S. Egene, who represented Dabo in court, opposed Omosun’s application.

Egene said there was a pending bail application dated Nov. 3, 2021, though another one dated Nov. 3, 2023 was also before the court

He sought to withdraw the Nov. 3, 2023 process and it was struck out.

The lawyer, who said a brother judge handling the case before admitted Dabo to bail, urged the court to grant their prayers in the same bail terms.

Omosun objected to the application, saying a counter affidavit dated Sept. 8, 2022, was filed in that respect.

Justice Omotosho then observed from the court file that the ex-lawmaker was absent in court about  eight times since the matter was reassigned to him. Egene pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy.

“As a lawmaker, he should know that the temple of justice must be respected,” the judge responded.

In a short ruling, Justice Omotosho held that in view of the fact that the defendant had been absent in the past proceedings for about eight times, the court would adjourn to consider and study the case file judiciously and judicially to arrive at its ruling.

He consequently fixed Feb. 5 for ruling on the bail application.

Crime

Don’t take luggage you don’t know its content, NDLEA warns travellers

Published

on

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has warned travellers against taking any luggage that they don’t know its content from anyone while travelling.

The agency’s Director of Media and Advocacy, Femi Babafemi, shared this information via his X account on Sunday.

Justifying his advice, he disclosed that two students, including a PhD student, ran into trouble when bottles of codeine syrup were discovered in luggage they were carrying for a female friend studying abroad.

The statement read, “A PhD student and another student studying abroad got into custody because bottles of codeine syrup were found in the luggage they picked for their female friend abroad.

“They would have been jailed if #ndlea_nigeria had not worked hard to ensure the owner was put on the next flight home….

“Reason why we warn you not to take any luggage you don’t know its content from anyone.

“Video shows how bags of opioids were concealed among spare parts coming from Onitsha heading to Mubi in Adamawa.”

Continue Reading

Crime

8 nabbed for allegedly vandalising railway sleepers, petroleum pipeline in Bauchi

Published

on

Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (), Bauchi Command, has arrested eight suspects for allegedly vandalising railway slippers, petroleum pipelines in the state.

NSCDC Commandant in the state, Mr Ileboye Olajide, who disclosed this while parading the suspects on Thursday in Bauchi, said that the suspects were also arrested for allegedly being in possession of fake currency notes.

Olajide said that the suspects were of three categories of offenders apprehended in one week.

“We got information from our people on the field that some people were vandalising railway sleepers at Dangubi village, along Gombe road.

“We immediately moved to the area and caught them with the 33 already removed sleepers. The suspects involved were actually four; two were arrested while two are at large,” he said.

The NSCDC commandant said five of the suspects were involved in vandalism of a petroleum pipeline at Kangere village on Gombe road in Bauchi Local Government Area, saying that they were handed over to the command by the Nigerian Army artillery unit.

He listed the items recovered from them to include: four motorcycles, various 25-litre cans of petrol and about 10 empty cans.

Olajide said that the suspects were caught while siphoning petroleum products, adding that they had confessed to the act.

The commandant added that another suspect was arrested for being in possession of fake 2,000 dollars in his house.

“Information provided by a woman he previously gave fake 100 dollars led to his arrest,” he said.
According to him, all the suspects will be handed over to relevant agencies after the conclusion of investigation for possible prosecution.

Olajide, however, warned that those nursing the idea of vandalising national infrastructure in the state to think twice, as they would not go scot free under his watch.

Continue Reading

Crime

Five suspects remanded for armed robbery in Ibadan

Published

on

Five men were remanded in a detention facility by the Iyaganku Magistrates’ Court in Ibadan on Tuesday over allegations of armed robbery.

The suspects identified as Abiodun Solomon (24), Abdulahi Alejolowo (26), Emmanuel Ayobami (31), Kazeem Saka (37), and Taofeek Lawal (35), with undisclosed addresses, are accused of conspiracy and armed robbery.

According to the prosecutor, Insp Olalekan Adegbite, the defendants allegedly committed the offense around 2 a.m. on January 8 in the Olode neighborhood of Ibadan. Adegbite stated that the defendants assaulted individuals in the neighborhood using weapons and proceeded to rob them of their cell phones, jewelry, electrical gadgets, cash, and other valuables.

The prosecutor said that these actions contravened Sections 6(B) and 1(2) of Nigeria’s Robbery and Firearms Laws of 2004.

However, Magistrate Oluwabusayo Osho declined to accept the defendants’ plea due to jurisdictional limitations and instructed that the case file be forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions for legal guidance. The matter was adjourned until April 29 for mention.

This incident follows a similar case reported  last Friday, where the Iyaganku Magistrates’ Court remanded three men – Jiya Adams (44), Joseph Abidoye (39), and Femi Adetunji (40) – on allegations of kidnapping. The accused individuals, also without disclosed addresses, faced charges of conspiracy, armed robbery, and abduction.

Magistrate Olaolu Olanipekun adjoined the case till May 13 for further hearing after directing the prosecution to duplicate the case file and send it to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) for legal advice.

The prosecution counsel, ASP Anthony Igori, alleged that the defendants, along with others, attacked an expatriate and proprietor of Saco Nigeria Ltd., Mr. Mohammed Il-Saheed, stole his Samsung cell phone valued at N800,000, and abducted him, collecting a N35 million ransom before releasing him after six days in captivity.

These incidents underscore the ongoing efforts by law enforcement to address criminal activities in Ibadan and uphold the rule of law.

Continue Reading

Trending