Connect with us

News

Bwari kidnap: I-G orders transfer of suspect to DFI, Abuja

Published

on

The Inspector-General of Police (I-G) Mr Kayode Egbetokun has ordered the  handover of a suspect, arrested in Kaduna State over kidnapping in Bwari area of Abuja,  to the Department of Force Intelligence (DFI) Abuja.

The Force Public Relations Officer, ACP Olumuyiwa Adejobi said this in a statement on Sunday in Abuja.

Adejobi said the order was to ensure discreet investigation into the case and arrest of other culprits involved in the kidnap.

He said the suspect had confessed to be a member of a bandit gang in Kaduna state where five of its members had been neutralised and their camp, destroyed by operatives of the Intelligence Response Team (IRT).

Adejobi said the suspect, currently helping the police in their investigations was arrested on Jan. 20 by operatives of the Nigeria Police in Kaduna state.

He said the arrest followed intelligence and raid of a hotel in Tafa area of Kaduna by operatives of Tafa Divisional Police Headquarters.

The police spokesman said the suspect was arrested with the sum of N2,250,000, suspected to be proceeds of ransoms collected from kidnapped victims in his possession.

According to him, during interrogation, the suspect confessed to be part of the gang that kidnapped members of a family in Bwari area of Abuja.

“The suspect, in a dramatic situation, offered N1 million to induce the Tafa Divisional Police Officer (DPO) SP Idris Ibrahim, who rejected the offer and carried out his duty diligently,” he said.

Adejobi said the I-G had commended the DPO for the commitment and professionalism.

He said the Nigeria Police would leave no stones unturned in decimating criminally minded individuals and bequeathing to Nigerians, a more secure society.

News

Edo Guber: INEC releases final list of candidates

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has announced the final list of candidates for the forthcoming Edo State Governorship Election.

This is even as the Commission said that the political parties are permitted to start campaign in public from Wednesday 24th April 2024.

The campaigns will end at midnight on Thursday 19th September 2024.

In a statement by Sam Olumekun,
National Commissioner & Chairman,
Information and Voter Education Committee, INEC disclosed that 17 political parties have fielded candidates for the election out of which 16 are male while one is female.

Olumekun said the final list has been published at INEC’s office in Edo State and also uploaded to the Commission’s website and social media platforms for public information.

“The Commission is pleased to announce the publication of the final list of candidates for the Edo State Governorship Election. Following the initial primaries, the Commission published the personal particulars of the Governorship candidates and their running mates in our State and Local Government offices in Edo State.

“Overall, seventeen (17) political parties are fielding candidates in the election. Sixteen (16) are male while one (1) is female. The final list, which also gives the breakdown of the candidates by age, academic qualifications and disability, has been published at our office in Edo State and also uploaded to our website and social media platforms for public information.

“With the publication of the final list of candidates for the Edo State Governorship Election, the next activity is electioneering campaign.

“Therefore, Political Parties are now permitted to start campaign in public from Wednesday 24th April 2024 and end at midnight on Thursday 19th September 2024 as indicated in items 8 and 12 of the Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the election,” parts of the statement read.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu unveils African Counter-Terrorism summit

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu unveiled the African Counter-Terrorism Summit at the Office of the National Security Adviser in Abuja on Monday.

The event which is currently ongoing and organised by Nigeria, with support from the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism, will be held from Monday to Tuesday, April 23, 2024, with the theme: ‘Strengthening Regional Cooperation and Institution Building to Address the Evolving Threat of Terrorism’.

The Presidency announced on Sunday that the summit aims to enhance multilateral counter-terrorism cooperation.

Details later…

Continue Reading

News

Number of inmates awaiting trial soars by 70% in Kano — NCoS

Published

on

The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS),  Kano State Command, says 70 per cent of inmates are awaiting trial across the custodial centres in the state.
The Public Relations Officer of the Command, SC Musbahu Lawan, disclosed this while addressing newsmen at the State Headquarters on Monday in Kano.
He said that overcrowding was a challenge to the smooth operation of the NCoS in the state, as the number of awaiting trial inmates had tripled that of convicted inmates in the state.
“Statistics show that only 30 per cent of inmates are convicted in the correctional service, while inmates awaiting trial constitute 70 per cent of the total number of inmates in the state.
“Most of the inmates awaiting trial have stayed in custody with their cases yet to be determined by the courts.
“Our laws give us the power to transfer convicted inmates to any facility in the country, so if the inmates awaiting trial are eventually convicted there won’t be congestion,” Lawan said.
He noted that convicted inmates were easier to manage as they were mandated to engage in the various reformatory programmes, an opportunity which awaiting trial persons might  not have.
“Most of the convicted inmates also benefit from the educational programmes in the custodial centres.
“In Kano, 38 convicted inmates sat for and passed the NECO, SSCE and are now seeking for admission at the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN).
“Due to increased interest of the inmates to study, the service is working with NOUN to establish more study centres in the custodial centres in the state,” Lawan said.
He said that one of the challenges was lack of study facilities like computers and study materials.
Lawan said the Federal Government had introduced the non-custodial measures like parole, community service and  probation among others, to address the overcrowding conundrum in custodial centres.
He commended some judges for complementing the Federal Government’s effort by making maximum use of non custodial sentencing.
“NCoS  will continue to pursue its mandate of keeping safe and humane custody of the legally interned, while protecting the society safer by reforming rehabilitating and reintegrating offenders,” Lawan said
Continue Reading

Trending