Connect with us

News

Bodija explosion: Makinde receives official report, 3 suspects identified for prosecution

Published

on

Gov. Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has received the official report of the Jan. 16, explosion that occurred at Adeyi Avenue in Bodija, Ibadan, in which five persons died.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Security, Mr Fatai Owoseni, made this known on Wednesday while briefing newsmen shortly after the presentation of the report to the governor.

Owoseni said that three persons of interest have been identified in connection with the cause of the unfortunate incident.

He added that the identified persons will face prosecution based on the investigation carried out.

Owoseni also revealed that the character of the explosive is known as ‘Water Gel Type Based Explosive’ and that the explosion was triggered by an electric spark.

He explained that a Closed Circuit Television in one of the affected houses gave footage of how the incident happened.

Owoseni, the former Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, assured that the state government would bring the perpetrators to book.

He added that the government would also  check the immigration status of all the people of interest since  majority of the suspects quizzed were from Mali.

“We have been able to report that the swiftness with which security was deployed to the epicentre had so far successfully made the state to fully secure the environment.

“And with the security that was provided, the state has also been able to prevent untoward happenings, especially opportunistic crimes that hoodlums always take advantage of such situations to carry out.

“We would recall that an emergency situation centre was put in place by the governor, and was located at the premises of Oyo State Housing Corporation, Ibadan.

“The EOC has so far collated information, data of things that happened there and some of the data collated include census of the respective houses and the fatalities that were affected including the extent of losses suffered.

“As of 6 p.m, Feb 3, which was the 18th day of the incident, a total of 335 affected persons registered at the emergency situation centre.

“These include 16 companies or business operators, churches, mosques, three schools and the UCH also approached the centre to report on their losses.

“The losses reported also include fatality, injuries of various degrees, damages ranging from total collapse and submerging of houses, houses that suffered collateral damage and the ones that suffered minimal damages,” Owoseni stated.

The chairman, Nigeria Institute of Structural Engineers, Mr Mbim Okutinyang, who is also the lead coordinator of the team that carried out structural integrity on the affected houses, also told newsmen that 282 houses were affected.

He however said that only four of the houses would have to be demolished due to the degrees of the damage.

Okutinyang added that the seismic report was still being awaited.

On his part, the Head of the Emergency Operation Centre, Prof. Temitope Alonge, said 80 victims in total were managed across various hospitals following the incident, but only five patients were on admission as of the time of the press briefing.

Alonge explained that four of the patients are being treated at the University College Hospital (UCH) and were at various levels of recovery, while one patient is at the Redeemers Hospital being managed for a spinal cord injury.

He said that most of the cases at UCH will likely be discharged within the next one week.

The head of the EOC added that some of the affected victims that experienced medical disorder such as respiratory illness had been treated.

He also explained that those with symptoms suggestive of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder were being attended to by clinical psychologists from UCH.

Giving an update on the tests for radioactivity, Alonge said the site of the incident had been cleared in terms of radioactivity, as the EOC invited the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Agency (NNRA) to conduct another screening.

News

President Tinubu commissions NDDC’s power station in Ondo

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has commissioned the multi-billion naira 132KV Transmission Line and I32KV/33KV electricity substation at Ode-Erinje in Okitipupa Local Government Area of Ondo State.

Speaking at the commissioning ceremony, the President, who was represented by the Minister for Niger Delta Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, said that the project demonstrated the determination of the Federal Government to develop the Niger Delta region.

He said that the Federal Government was placing priority on electricity as one of the sure ways of boosting industrialization in the country.
The President congratulated the NDDC for completing the project and enjoined the people of the Niger Delta region to continue to support the Federal Government.

In his speech, the Ondo State Governor, Hon. Lucky Aiyedatiwa, gave kudos to the NDDC for what he described as a landmark project.

He declared: “I am deeply grateful to all individuals, organisations and stakeholders whose dedication and collaboration has brought this project to fruition. A special acknowledgment is owed to the current management of the NDDC under the Chairmanship of Mr. Chiedu Ebie and the Managing Director, Dr. Samuel Ogbuku for its invaluable partnership, unwavering support, and steadfast commitment to realising this high impact endeavour.”

“I appreciate our esteemed Royal fathers, in this district, the resilient residents of Ode-Erinje: our gracious host community, and the entire people of the Southern Senatorial District for their cooperation and steadfast support throughout the journey of this project.”

“This transformative project will bring significant benefits, including job opportunities, new investments, better healthcare and support socioeconomic development in the district. Moreover, the project will, no doubt, boost economic activities and improve the quality of life for our citizens by ensuring reliable and affordable electricity supply.”

The Governor urged the people in the Senatorial District to own the project and protect it , considering what they had been through for about 15 years without electricity supply. “It is our collective duty to protect the Substation and other allied facilities from vandalism,” he said.

In his remarks, the Chairman of the NDDC Governing Board, Mr. Chiedu Ebie, said that the project was a reflection of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s strong desire to have the Niger Delta Region transformed into a zone of peace and development.

He stated that the NDDC was dedicated to advancing the implementation of the President’s Renewed Hope Agenda. Our commitment to this project, which has been in progress for over a decade, remains unwavering. As a board, we have chosen to focus on initiatives that will positively impact the lives of the people, regardless of who initiated the project.

Also speaking, the NDDC Managing Director, Dr Samuel Ogbuku, affirmed that the electricity project would complement the Federal Government’s effort in the power sector, noting that the benefits were enormous.

He assured that the electricity sub-station would illuminate over 2,000 communities across five local government areas within the oil-producing region of Ondo State, significantly impacting lives and boosting businesses.
Ogbuku commended the traditional rulers and leaders in the area for protecting the project from the activities of vandals.

Giving a brief of the project, the NDDC Executive Director, Projects, Sir Victor Antai, said that the contract provided for the construction of 45km double circuit 33KV Feeder lines from Omotosho Power Station (Hook-up point) to Okitipupa and two 30MVA, 132/33KV Injection Substations with breakers, gantry and substation automations. It also provided for the construction of 3-bedroom semi-detached bungalow as service quarters.He explained: “The project is aimed at complementing the Federal Government’s effort in the power sector by improving power supply to Okitipupa, Igbokoda and other neighbouring communities in Ondo South Senatorial District with direct value to chain in small and medium scale industries, job creation and consequently ,engender growth and development in Ondo State.

Giving a goodwill message, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on NDDC, Senator Asuquo Ekpeyong, said that the project symbolized a significant step in our collective effort to enhance the quality of life and economic potential of our region. He observed: “This project is not just an infrastructure endeavor but also a beacon of hope for what can be achieved when we unite with purpose and determination. A closer look at this specific project reveals several positive milestones in bridging the infrastructure gaps in the Niger Delta and Nigeria as a whole.

Continue Reading

News

Abiodun approves disbursement of BTA differentials for Ogun muslim pilgrims

Published

on

Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has doused the palpable tension among the Ogun State Muslim Pilgrims by ameliorating the shortfall in their Basic Travel Allowance (BTA) as a result of unexpected vagaries of the foreign exchange rates.

While NAHCON used 1,252.01 per dollar to calculate hajj fare (BTA inclusive) to give 500 USD as BTA to each pilgrim, the CBN released BTA at 1,530.86 per dollar, which gave each pilgrim 415USD instead of 500USD earlier proposed.

Going by this development and in order to give each pilgrim 500USD at the new exchange rate of 1,530.86 per dollar, the differential to be paid for the State 934 pilgrims stood at N119,560,712.70.

In the face of the shorfall therefore, and in an effort to make the 934 State pilgrims perform their hajj rites without stress as well as making them comfortable during the hajj exercise, the State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun with dispatch, has intervened by paying BTA differential of the sum of 119,560,712.70 for all the 934 State pilgrims for 2024 Hajj Exercise.

This prompt intervention by the Governor will enable the pilgrims to collect 500USD agreed without blemish and douse every anxiety earlier caused by the sudden increment.

To this end, the Consultant to the Governor on Islamic Affairs, Sheik Iskeel Lawal, expressed appreciation to the Governor for the timely intervention and prayed for the continuous success of the administration.

Meanwhile, Governor Dapo Abiodun, has implored the pilgrims to be patriotic and pray fervently for the state in particular and Nigeria at large, adding that the courage and sagacity exhibited by President Bola Tinubu in the quest of changing the ugly narrative of the past require robust spiritual support from all Nigerians.

“As you are going on this special and highly essential spiritual exercise in the holy land, you are expected to pray for the sustainability of this tempo of development and transformation embarked upon by our administration in Ogun State.

“In the same vein, our President, Asiwaju Bola Hammed Tinubu needs your supplications and fervent prayer to continue with his courageous and selfless move towards changing the ugly past for the survival of our nation”, Abiodun averred .

Continue Reading

News

Emir of Kano in Ijebu Ode, felicitates with Awujale on 90th birthday

Published

on

The Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ahmad Ado Bayero, has paid homage to the Awujale and Paramount ruler of Ijebuland, Alaiyeluwa Oba (Dr.) Sikiru Kayode Adetona, CFR, GCON, JP, Ogbagba II, to felicitate him on his 90th birthday and 64th coronation anniversary.

The visit, which took place on
Wednesday, May 22nd, 2024, was also meant to strengthen the cordial relationship that has been in existence for several years between the Awujale and the late Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero.

It further reinforced the enduring ties between two of Nigeria’s most respected traditional institutions and
attracted dignitaries from both the Ijebu Traditional Council and the Kano Emirate.

Speaking on the significance of the visit, the Emir said, “I was supposed to be here during the 90th birthday and 64th coronation anniversary but I was out of the country. So, upon my return, I decided to pay homage to my father. I say he is my father because when my late father was alive, he used to refer to him as my brother. So, if he is my father’s brother, then he is my father.”

The Emir wished Awujale many more years on the throne of his forebears and expressed his readiness to pay another visit very soon.

Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State was represented by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Hon. Ganiyu Hamzat, who delivered a goodwill message on behalf of the Governor.
Members of the Ijebu Traditional Council who joined the Awujale to receive the Emir of Kano were the Orimolusi of Ijebu-Igbo, Alaiyeluwa Oba Jayeoba Lawrence Adebajo; the Obiri of Aiyepe, Alaiyeluwa Oba A.R. Okubanjo; the Dagburewe of Idowa, Alaiyeluwa Oba Sikiru Okuribido; the Ebumawe of Ago-Iwoye, Alaiyeluwa Oba A.A.A Adenugba and the Elerunwon of Erunwon, Alaiyeluwa Oba J.A.Okubena.

Others were the Obelu of Ensure, Alaiyeluwa Oba Abdulsamad Olalekan Kasali; the Sadereren of Isonyin, Alaiyeluwa Oba Abdulsamad Omotayo; the Oru of Imoru, Alaiyeluwa Oba (Engr.) Adeposi Bashorun; the Oliworo of Iworo, Alaiyeluwa Oba G.A. Onafuwa, Otufosejoye of Irete, Alaiyeluwa Oba AbdulGaniyu Awokoya Yesufu; and the King of Fuji music and Olori Omooba of Ijebuland, Chief Wasiu Ayinde Marshal (popularly known as KWAM1).

Continue Reading

Trending