The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has firmly rejected allegations by Turkish Ambassador-designate to Nigeria, Mehmet Poroy, concerning the presence of the Fethullah Terrorist Organisation (FETO) in the country.
Poroy had alleged that members of FETO were operating within Nigeria under the guise of educational and healthcare institutions, describing them as a threat to national security.
Addressing journalists during the bi-weekly media briefing in Abuja on Thursday, Major General Markus Kangye, Director of Defence Media Operations, dismissed the assertion as “unofficial” and noted that Nigeria, as a sovereign nation, retains full authority over its security and counterterrorism policies.
“Nigeria is an independent sovereign nation that can think and act for itself,” Kangye stated.
He cautioned against uncritically adopting foreign narratives that could undermine national sovereignty or breed distrust. While acknowledging the importance of global partnerships, Kangye stressed that Nigeria’s security decisions would always be guided by its own assessments and interests.
“We cannot take what other people are saying about Nigeria and accept it without our own independent assessment,” he said.
Kangye further pointed to the global spread of propaganda and psychological operations, suggesting that such assertions might serve broader strategic interests.
“There are propagandists all over the world. Psychological oppressions go on everywhere. That’s why we must be vigilant,” he added.
Major General Kangye also disclosed significant successes by the Nigerian Armed Forces in various operations conducted between 10 and 17 July 2025. These include the foiling of oil theft activities worth over N291 million and the arrest of 143 suspects connected to terrorism, kidnapping, banditry, gun running, and illegal oil bunkering.
In the South-South region, troops of Operation DELTA SAFE dismantled numerous illegal refining sites. They recovered over 201,000 litres of stolen crude oil, nearly 30,000 litres of illegally refined Automotive Gas Oil (AGO), and more than 1,700 litres of Dual Purpose Kerosene (DPK). A total of 42 suspects were arrested in connection with oil-related crimes. Security forces also seized weapons, explosives, vehicles, motorcycles, and refining equipment.
In the North East, under Operation HADIN KAI, troops maintained pressure on Boko Haram and ISWAP insurgents, neutralising several fighters while others surrendered. Eleven collaborators were apprehended, seven kidnap victims rescued, and a logistics supplier detained. Two union transport workers were also arrested with military uniforms and sensitive materials.
Operation FANSAN YAMMA in the North West led to the arrest of six terrorists and the rescue of three kidnap victims in Sokoto and Zamfara States. Three suspected arms dealers were arrested in Sokoto with nine AK-47 rifles, over 450 rounds of ammunition, and N365,600. A notorious kidnap kingpin was also captured in Bauchi State. Further operations across Katsina, Kebbi, and Niger States yielded additional arrests and rescues.
In the North Central zone, troops under Operations SAFE HAVEN and WHIRL STROKE conducted targeted missions in Plateau, Kaduna, Benue, and Nasarawa States. Twelve suspects were arrested in Plateau, and others were picked up in Taraba and Kogi States. In one case, troops intercepted a bullet-ridden vehicle and recovered weapons and N13.7 million believed to be ransom money. The occupants allegedly tried to bribe soldiers at the scene.
In the South East, troops of Operation UDO KA arrested 14 suspected members of the proscribed IPOB/ESN group, neutralised two, and rescued multiple kidnap victims across Anambra, Abia, Imo, and Enugu States. One tax collector linked to the group was found with N1.5 million reportedly extorted from residents.
Kangye said many farming communities in northern Borno and other previously insecure areas have resumed agricultural activities due to improved security. He confirmed that troops are actively patrolling farmlands to ensure the safety of farmers.
Responding to recent complaints on social media by some soldiers regarding welfare conditions in combat zones, General Kangye dismissed the claims as unfounded. He clarified that all troops deployed to operational theatres receive centrally managed allowances and logistical support. He warned against misinformation driven by individuals facing disciplinary measures or seeking undue attention.
Reaffirming the military’s dedication to defending the nation’s territorial integrity, Kangye appealed for continued collaboration between citizens, the media, and security agencies through prompt intelligence sharing.
“The Armed Forces remain resolute in defending our country and safeguarding lives and property. With continued public support, we will defeat all threats to national security,” he said.