Connect with us

Crime

Amotekun arrests 36 individuals involved in illegal activities in Ondo

Published

on

The Western Nigeria Security Network, codenamed Amotekun Corps, has arrested 36 suspects for various crimes in Ondo state.

Mr Adetunji Adeleye, the state Commander of the corps, made this known while parading the suspects before the newsmen on Wednesday in Akure.

Adeleye explained that the suspects were arrested with the collaboration of other security agencies for alleged offences ranging from house breaking, stealing, kidnapping, among others.

“Today again, we are parading about 36 suspects. I want to place it on record that in the last one month, there were three kidnapped activities that we were able to foil successfully.

“Today, what we have here are suspects arrested for kidnapping, house breaking, murder and stealing.

“We remain resolute in our determination to flush them out of our society.

“The 19 suspected kidnappers were picked from the Northern Senatorial District of the state, which shows that their activities have dropped drastically in the state.

“I must say that with the cooperation of other security agencies in the state, we have been able to reduce criminals’ activities.

“We will still continue to ensure that people do their businesses normally and are not disturbed because the state government is resolute in guaranteeing the safety of lives and property,” he said.

Adeleye also appealed to traditional and community leaders to report any suspicious movement in their forest and environment to security agencies in the state.

”We want to appeal to our traditional rulers that once they see unknown people gathering in the forest they should alert us immediately.

“I want to encourage the general public that once they seea strange movement, they sould let the security agencies know,” he said.

Crime

Sex Scandal: We won’t oppose any sanction against lecturer — ASUU UNN

Published

on

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has said that the union would not oppose any sanction against the lecturer allegedly involved in sex scandal in a video trending in the social media.

Chairperson of ASUU, University of Nigeria Nsukka, (UNN), Dr Oyibo Eze said this in Nsukka on Tuesday while reacting to the alleged attempt by a lecturer in UNN to have sex with a female student in his office on Monday.

“ASUU will not oppose any sanction if after investigations, the suspect is found guilty of allegation to have attempted to have sex with a female student in his office.

“We should all know that every action has its consequences,” he said.

He said that ASUU condemned the alleged act by the lecturer identified as Mr. David Udom-Udom of the Social Science Unit, School of General Studies (GS) of the UNN.

“I saw the trending video of the alleged act yesterday and this morning I went  to GS department and confirmed the incident in the viral video on Monday.

“Lecturers should see students as their children by displaying high sense of discipline, morality and avoid asking sex for mark.

“It is condemnable and that is what happens when a dog eats the bone hung on its neck.

“Our job as lecturers is to teach students not to harass them sexually,” he said.

Reacting to the incident, Comrade Enoch Utazi, the President, Students Union Government (SUG) of the UNN, also condemned the alleged act by Udom to have sex with a student for mark.

Utazi said SUG would follow the matter to its logical conclusion to ensure that the affected randy lecturer was punished according to rules and regulations of the university.

“SUG will ensure this randy lecturer is punished to serve as deterrent to others who exploit female students sexually in order to give them mark,” Utazi said.

Meanwhile, Mr. Chris Alumona, the Chief Security Officer of UNN, when contacted, confirmed the incident and said that the randy lecturer Udom-Udom had been arrested and handed over to the police.

Alumona said his office acted on tip-off from UNN Department of Students Affairs on what was happening on Monday in Udom’s office

Continue Reading

Crime

Alleged N8.5bn fraud: You have case to answer, Lagos court tells NIMASA staff, ex-JTF Commander

Published

on

Justice Ayokunle Faji of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on Monday, April 22, 2024, told a former Commander of the Joint Military Task Force, Operation Pulo Shield, Major-General Emmanuel Atewe ( rtd.), and a  staff of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA, Kime Engonzu, that they have a case to answer in the alleged N8.5bn money laundering case brought against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Atewe and Engonzu are standing trial on a 22-count charge bordering on money laundering to the tune of N8, 537,586,798.58, which also involves a former Director-General of NIMASA, Patrick Akpobolokemi, and Josephine Otuaga, also a staff of NIMASA.

One of the counts reads: “That you, Patrick Ziadeke Akpobolokemi, Major General Emmanuel Atewe, Kime Engozu, and Josphine Otuaga, sometime in 2014, in Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this Court, with intent to defraud, conspired amongst yourselves to commit an offence to wit: conversion of the sum of N8,537,586,798.58 property of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 18 (a) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2012 and punishable under Section 15 (3) of the same Act.”

They pleaded “not guilty” to the charges, thereby prompting the commencement of their trial.

In the course of the trial, the prosecution called several witnesses and subsequently closed its case against the defendants.

However, the defendants, rather than open their defence, filed a no-case-submission.

Akpobolokemi had, in a no-case submission, filed by his lawyer, Dr. Joseph Nwobike, SAN, prayed the court for an acquittal without having him present a defence.

Ruling on the no-case submission on Monday, Justice  Faji discharged and acquitted Akpobolokemi  and Otuaga, the fourth defendant.

He however, ruled that Atewe, the second defendant, and Engonzu, the third defendant, should open their defence in counts 12 to 22 of the charge.

Continue Reading

Crime

Nasarawa: Police arrest three for alleged kidnapping

Published

on

By Adeyanju Esther

In a significant breakthrough, the Nasarawa State Police Command has apprehended three individuals suspected of involvement in a kidnapping scheme within the Karu Local Government Area.

The arrest is as a result of diligent efforts of officers from the Mararaba ‘A’ Division of the Nigeria Police, as confirmed by DSP Ramhan Nansel, the command’s spokesperson, in a statement released on April 23.

The detained suspects, namely Babangida Abdullahi (29), Mohammed Abubakar (27), and Yakubu Sani (30), were taken into custody following allegations of their participation in a kidnapping plot.

According to reports, the trio allegedly collaborated and engaged in communication with Ibrahim Idris, an uncle of one of the suspects, they threatened to abduct him unless a ransom of N2 million was paid.

Succumbing to the pressure and fearing for his safety, the victim complied with the demands, delivering the specified sum to the designated location. Subsequently, the suspects retrieved the ransom and divided it amongst themselves.

Further investigations revealed that all three suspects have confessed to their roles in the criminal activity. Authorities are now intensifying efforts to apprehend another member of the syndicate who narrowly escaped arrest.

This successful operation underscores the Nasarawa State Police Command’s unwavering commitment to combating crime and ensuring the safety and security of residents. It serves as a stern warning to criminal elements involved in kidnapping activities that law enforcement agencies will relentlessly pursue and bring them to justice.

Continue Reading

Trending