South Africa Home Affairs Minister, Malusi Gigaba, has lambasted Nigerians for complaining too much about the renewed attack on Nigerian nationals in the country. .
Gigaba, while reacting to the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who said 20 Nigerians were killed last year alone, said South Africans were also killed by Nigerians.
Dabiri-Erewa had called on the South African government to take decisive and definitive measures to protect Nigerian citizens and other Africans within South African borders..
Recall that the Federal Government, FG, had disclosed that talks are ongoing with South Africa on how to protect Nigerian citizens against xenophobic attacks in that country. .
But in his reaction, on Thursday during a visit to Rosettenville, in Johannesburg, where residents went burnt houses believed to be brothels and drug dens, the Minister said South Africans have also been killed by Nigerians.
The Minister told newsmen, “Should we start counting how many South Africans that have died in South Africa at the hands of Nigerians?
“This is the discussion South Africa would not want to get into as it would turn ugly.
“I am not privy to the figures from the Nigerian government and how they collected them.
“I do not think it is the discussion we want to get into. It will turn out very bad.
“Countries should desist from pointing fingers at each other.
“Officials who ‘incite’ violence in communities need to be discouraged strongly because they heighten the situation rather than lessen it.
“I have requested a meeting with African Union ambassadors today (Thursday) to discuss recent incidents of attacks on foreigners in South Africa,” the Minister stated.