What Wenger told referee Anthony Taylor that got him four-match ban


Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, accused fourth official, Anthony Taylor of being “dishonest,” before pushing him during last month’s Premier League clash against Burnley, according to the referee’s report.

Wenger was handed a four-match touchline ban and fined £25,000 for his actions.

The Frenchman was angry after an injury-time penalty was awarded against him team, although they went on to win through Alexis Sanchez’s 98th penalty.

Cited in the “written reasons” released by The FA, match referee Jon Moss wrote in his report after the game: “In the 92nd minute of the game, following the award of a penalty against Arsenal, I was informed by Mr Taylor that he had been confronted by Mr Wenger in the technical area.

“He informed me that despite being warned to consider his conduct, Mr Wenger stated to Mr Taylor ‘You are dishonest to your federation!’ Mr Taylor told me that he told Mr Wenger that this was not acceptable to which Mr Wenger replied ‘F— off’.”

Taylor’s report included more details including the physical confrontation.

Taylor wrote: “Following the award of a penalty kick against his team in approx. 92nd min, Mr Wenger left his technical area to confront me in disagreement at the decision. Before he said anything I said ‘think carefully before you say anything.’ He responded by saying ‘you are dishonest to your federation.’

“I considered this to be questioning both mine and the referee, Jon Moss’s integrity and impartiality. I stated to Mr. Wenger that such a comment was not acceptable and he told me to ‘f— off’ on two separate occasions.

“Once Burnley had taken the penalty and before the game restarted I informed the referee, Jon Moss, what Mr Wenger had said and he subsequently dismissed Mr Wenger from the technical area. Initially Mr Wenger wanted to return to his technical area and I had to ask him again to leave the vicinity as required.

“He then chose to stand at the opening of the tunnel. I again approached him and asked him to go to the dressing room area. At this point Mr Wenger pushed me twice and I had to ask the security staff present to escort Mr Wenger to the dressing room area.

“At the conclusion of the match, Mr Wenger visited the officials changing room and apologized to myself and Mr Moss for his earlier actions.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here