Ondo okays free education, stops paying SSCE fees

0
144

Following the recommendation of the Ondo State 2017 Education Summit, the Ondo State Government has resolved to continue to provide free education for pupils of public primary and secondary schools in the state.

The summit, however, also recommended that parents and guardians would, as from 2018, take responsibility for the payment of their children’s and wards’ fees for the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination.

The state governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, had earlier declared that his administration would not cancel free education at the public primary and secondary schools levels. He had also pledged to provide qualitative education at all levels in the state.

The state Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Mr. Femi Agagu, disclosed this while addressing journalists on Thursday on the outcome of the State Executive Council meeting in Akure, the state capital.

He said the council looked critically at the decisions of stakeholders at the last summit and resolved that the government would continue to fund education at the primary and post primary levels.

The State Executive Council, according to the commissioner, also approved the setting up of an education trust fund that would help to mobilise funds for the education sector in the state, in a bid to improve the sector.

He said, “The trust fund would be managed by a committee comprising prominent sons and daughters of Ondo State.”

According to the commissioner, the committee will encourage each adult citizen of the state to pay N1,000 into the trust fund.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here