North Korea reopens hotline to South

0
127

North Korea has reopened a hotline to South Korea, almost two years after it was disabled on the orders of leader Kim Jong-un,

South Korea confirmed it had received a call from the North at 15:30 local time (06:30 GMT) on Wednesday.

The North Korean leader had earlier said he was open to dialogue with Seoul and to sending a team to the Winter Olympics in the South next month, the BBC reports.

The two nations have not held high-level talks since December 2015.
North Korea cut off the communications channel shortly afterwards, refusing to answer calls, according to officials in the South.

A North Korean official announced the hotline’s re-opening in a televised statement.

He said the two nations would discuss the practical issues around a proposal to send a North Korean delegation to the Winter Games in Pyeongchang in February.

“We will make close contact with South Korea in a sincere and faithful manner,” Yonhap news agency quoted the official as saying.

He said the countries would “discuss working-level issues” about sending the delegation.

The Press Secretary for South Korea’s President, Moon Jae-in, said the restoration of this communications channel was “very significant.”

“It creates an environment where communication will be possible at all times,” he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here