The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation said it had shut down the Port Harcourt and Kaduna refineries, owing to crude supply challenges arising from recent attacks on vital crude oil pipelines.
The corporation announced the operational shutdown of the refineries on Wednesday in a statement signed by its GroupGeneral Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Mr. Ohi Alegbe.
It said the plants were shut simultaneously on Sunday after the Bonny-Okrika crude supply line to the Port Harcourt Refinery and the Escravos-Warri crude supply line to the Kaduna Refinery suffered breaches.
The NNPC stated that before the closure, the Port Harcourt Refinery was recording a daily Premium Motor Spirit yield of over 4.1 million litres, while Kaduna Refinery was posting a daily petrol production of about 1.3 million litres.
According to the corporation, the Warri Refining and Petrochemicals Company is still on stream and producing a little above 1.4 million Litres of petrol per day.
The corporation, however, stated that it had put in place strategies to guarantee unimpeded country-wide availability of petroleum products.
In response to the unexpected setback, we have activated comprehensive remedial measures to sustain the prevailing stability in the supply and distribution of petroleum products across the country,” NNPC added.
The 150,000bpd refinery in Port Harcourt and the 110,000 bpd Kaduna refinery had resumed operations in December after several months of shutdown.
Warri, Kaduna and Port Harcourt refineries, which had resumed production of refined petroleum products in July last year after undergoing rehabilitation, were shut down in August, September and October, respectively.
The NNPC had earlier this month announced that the nation’s three refineries in Kaduna, Port Harcourt and Warri had attained a combined daily production of over 6.76 million litres of petrol per day which is projected to increase to over 10 million litres per day by the end of January 2016.