Metele Attack: Call for action

0
430

The media was awash last week following reports of alleged killings of not less than hundred soldiers in Metele, Borno State by Boko Haram.

In the video obtained by AFP from a military source who confirmed the authenticity of the video that had a soldier giving the figures of casualties and describing the poor state of their weapons and vehicles, the soldier said:”No less than 100 plus soldiers died here. Many are missing in action, they are nowhere to be found.”

He continued, “See the weapons they bring here. These are not working,” he said as the footage revealed the charred remains of tanks and other military equipment.

“These are outdated vehicles, they are not working. They just keep them here for formality,” said the soldier.

“Imagine, they are killing us every day,” he said. “The situation is getting worse.” More than 27,000 people are said to have been killed in the nine-year Islamist insurgency that has triggered a humanitarian crisis and left 1.8 million people without homes.

President Muhammadu Buhari while reacting through his Senior Special Assistant on Media, Garba Shehu, on Friday expressed deep shock over the killing of the military personnel by the terrorists, assuring Nigerians at the same time that immediate measures are being taken to ensure that the loopholes which led to the fatalities are blocked once and for all.

The recent resurgence of the Boko Haram, should not be treated with kid gloves. President Buhari  should take a decisive action towards ensuring that we do not lose our soldiers in the manner we lost them in the Metele incident.

There is no doubt that President Buhari  has made a commendable effort towards tackling the Boko Haram insurgents in the Northeast after assuming office considering where we are coming from.

The president must realize that the war is far from being won, as terrorism is a complex war.

The purported video alleging that the soldiers are not furnished with sophisticated weapons and do not have good vehicles, should be investigated. If found to be true, those charged with the responsibility of providing for the needs of these patriotic Nigerians should be punished severely to serve as a deterrent.

The President should also consider rejigging the security architecture by reshuffling his service chiefs and bring in new people with fresh ideas.

The President should seek help from neighbouring countries and super-powers as fighting terrorism has taken a global dimension, which necessitates international collaboration among states facing similar security challenges.

The media should also be alive to its responsibility in ensuring that the members of the public are not feed with false information as was the case in the Metele incident.

This is vital so as to forestall the propaganda intent of the terrorists; to misinform the populace and portray themselves as what they are not.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here