A former Attorney General of the Federation, AGF, Mr. Mohammed Adoke SAN, says he is aware that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, is planning to raid his country home in Okene, Kogi State, with the purpose of planting huge sums of money in order to indict him.
The anti-graft commission had on Tuesday raided Adoke’s home in Kano as part of investigations into the $1.3bn Malabu scam. It had accused Adoke of enriching himself from the $1bn Malabu oil deal, but he has denied the allegation, saying there are no documents that could be used in indicting him.
In a statement issued on Friday by his media aide, Victor Akhidenor, the former minister, who has been in Holland since 2015, said the EFCC had become desperate to nail him at all cost, having found nothing in his Kano home
He maintained that if the EFCC continued to harass members of his family and search his properties, he would be forced to sue the commission for harassment, threatening to put the United Nations and other international human rights agencies on notice.
Stressing that the $1.3bn Malabu deal was transparent, he insisted that it was done with the approval of former President Goodluck Jonathan.
According to Adoke, “We have been reliably informed of a plan by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to raid the Okene, Kogi country home of Mohammed Bello Adoke (SAN), the former minister of justice and attorney-general of the federation.
“We gathered that the swoop on the country home of the former attorney-general and minister of justice will happen any moment from now as part of EFCC’s sustained campaign to soil the good name of Mr Adoke in the guise of seeking evidence to indict him.
“After turning up with nothing in Kano, now the EFCC wants to conduct another dramatic campaign in Okene for the cameras, and we are certain that like the previous raids which turned up nothing, no incriminating document or item would be found in the premises in Okene or anywhere else for that matter because no such document exist.
“Mr Adoke has made it clear times without number that on the Malabu matter, he only acted as directed by the former president, H.E Goodluck Jonathan, and in the best interest of the country. He did not enrich himself or anyone through the course of the transaction, which had been concluded long before he assumed office. He completed his brief to the best of his abilities and knowledge, and has since moved on.
“However, for whatever reasons, the EFCC appears to have a different opinion on the Malabu issue and has made the harassment of Mr Adoke, his family and associates their past time, without providing any proof of wrongdoing.
“We wish to warn that Mr Adoke would no longer take this harassment of his family and serial invasions of his homes lying low and will now seek all legal means to enforce his rights, including asking for damages. He will also petition international human rights organisations, the UN and other international groups to intimate them of the wilful abuse of his rights by the EFCC.”
The former minister feared that the EFCC may plant incriminating documents or cash and claim that same were found at his house