Labour tackles Fayose over claims on IGR

0
341

The organised labour in Ekiti State has denied being part of the sharing of the federal monthly allocation coming to the state, contrary to the claims of Governor Ayodele Fayose.

The organised labour also expressed shock over the internally generated revenue figures reeled out by the governor, which overshot and were entirely contrary to that ever declared by the Accountant General at any of their meetings.

In a press release issued after an emergency meeting of the the Nigeria Labour Congress, Trade Union Congress and Joint Negotiating Council in Ado Ekiti, the labour denied reaching an agreement with government to pay only net salary.

According to labour, the Accountant General’s figures ranged between only N150m and N200m, except that of N268m for April, the highest so far declared by him.

These, they said, were against N267m for September 2015; N252m for October 2015; N195m for November 2015; N181m for December 2015, as well as N389m, N381m, and N302m, respectively declared by the governor for January, February and March.

Accusing the governor of blackmailing the unions to gain public sympathy, the labour leaders said the meeting is only “a briefing” and not “a cash allocation meeting.”

They added that suggestions made by them at the meetings had never been accepted by the governor.

“So, the idea of labour leaders sharing monthly cash allocation and the governor approving does not arise. There has never been any advice or suggestion given to government by the organised labour at this forum that has ever been taken,” the unions said.

The organised labour on Thursday began an indefinite strike to press home the demand for the outstanding five months salaries of workers among other issues.

But reacting, the governor on Friday said the state government will pay salaries only to workers not on strike from the little monthly allocation that came from Abuja.

However, the labour urged workers to discountenance the threat by the Head of Service, Dr Olugbenga Faseluka, that senior workers should resume work on Tuesday or face the dire consequences of their actions.

“The ongoing strike is not an ego trip or politically motivated, but about the rights of workers and pensioners who are dying daily out of hunger and frustration.

“It should be noted that Labour has neither suspended nor called off the ongoing industrial action in the state, hence we are using this medium to implore the entire workers of all categories in all sectors to stay at home and observe the strike action until the leadership of organised Labour gives further directives.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here