….retains N2bn for operation
By Seun Oladunjoye
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has remitted the sum of N5 billion to the federal government treasury, after the conduct of its 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
The Board’s Weekly Bulletin by Head of media and Information, Dr, Fabian Benjamin, disclosed that out of the N5 billion returned to the federal government, N2 billion was given back to the board to enhance its operation.
“Technically, the board returned N5 billion to the Federal government but out of that amount, the board was handed N2 billion to further enhance its operation,” he said.
Last year, his first in running the board as the registrar, Professor Ishaq Oloyede remitted N7.8 billion to the treasury, as against the paltry N50million remitted by his predecessor from 2010-2016.
Public criticism following the huge surplus made the Federal Government order a reduction in examination fees from N5000 to N3,500.
It will be recalled that out of the 1.8 million candidates who registered for the examination, a total of 1,792,719 had their results released by the board.
The results of 34,120 candidates were withheld due to alleged examination malpractice, while results of 15,145 candidates are undergoing further clarification, as in the case of identical twins and siblings.
Meanwhile, there have been lots of bottlenecks to checking and getting the results by candidates.
A parent who spoke on the challenge in assessing their wards result, Pastor Femi Fadipe revealed that his daughter is yet to see her result in spite of many efforts.
He stated that his daughter and her friend followed the process as instructed without success.
“I don’t know what JAMB wants us to do again, after my daughter has been trying to get her result since Saturday to no avail.
“She has been sending the “RESULT” to the said code, up until this morning, and there has been no response to that effect.”
Benjamin had apologised to the affected candidates on behalf of the board.
He stated that the problem was from the service provider and they have been called to a meeting by the board.
“We have just had a meeting with the service providers and they assured us that they are working hard to get the issue addressed. In no distant time, such candidates should be able to access their results without any hitch.
“We are just trying to ensure that all the candidates deserving of results should have firsthand information of their performances via their telephones. “After that, we will post the results on our website for candidates to go ahead and print,” he said.