FG issues 10 days ultimatum to NCC to block 2m SIM cards

0
66

By Ibiyemi Mathew

The Federal Government has given the Nigerian  Commu-nications Commis-sion (NCC) up to September 25 to cut off 2.224million improperly registered SIM cards from telecom networks in the country. The Minister of Communications, Dr Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami, gave the directive in his office in Abuja on Monday after he inaugurated the newly constituted NCC board.

The Honourable Minister of Communications, Dr. Isa Ali Pantami speaking further commended the Nigerian Communications Commis-sion (NCC) for quick implementation of his directive to the Commission to tackle over 9.2 invalidly-registered Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) cards on Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) in the country.

“I have a breaking news for you: after my announcement last week of the 9.2 million SIM cards in circulation, NCC Executive Vice Chairman has just briefed me that about 6.775 million has been rectified.”

“This means we have only 2.242 million yet to be rectified. So we want them to be properly rectified on or before 25th September, 2019”, the minister said.

He said after the deadline, NCC should rein in on the telecom operators and block the subscribers.

While congratulating the new members over their appointments by the President, Pantami urged them to “work together with existing board members of the Commission on how we can effectively utilise telecoms and Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in general to support the tripartite agenda of the President to improve security, improve economy and reduce poverty as well as fight corruption.”

In his remarks, NCC Board Chairman, Senator Olabiyi Durojaiye, thanked the Minister for his readiness to support the Commission in his various efforts at leveraging the ICT/telecoms to create economic prosperity for the country.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here