News

Army launches operation to flush out Southern Kaduna attackers

Army Buratai

Nigerian Army on Wednesday launched a one month special operation code-named “Operation Harbin Kunama” to flush out bandits terrorising the southern part of Kaduna.

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Tukur Buratai, while launching the programme alongside the state Governor, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, said the operation would ensure that there is no longer hiding place for armed bandits in the state.

The army chief urged the people of the area to maintain the peace and shun reprisal attacks.

While assuring that the military will always assist civil authorities to contain any crisis and prevent its escalation, Buratai said the first phase of Operation Harbin Kunama was conducted in parts of Kaduna and Zamfara States in 2016.

Buratai said, “The aim of this exercise is to ensure that this area is kept safe. I know it has been in the press and generated a lot interest. But we are determined to shoulder the major responsibility of keeping the peace always and it is better to do this job than to leave it until it goes out of hand. God forbid.

“We will continue to coordinate our activities to ensure that we get our communities to understand each other and then we provide the needed security and the right atmosphere for economic and social activities to thrive.”

Governor El-Rufai expressed confidence that the bandits that had been attacking farmers in the area would finally be neutralized.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top