News

Anti-Igbo threat: We’re on top of the matter, says FG

The Federal Government on Wednesday said it was on top of the anxiety created by the notice to quit that some youths from the northern part of the country handed down to people from the South-East to leave their region.

It said all efforts were being made to address the situation.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, disclosed this while speaking with State House correspondents at the end of the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council presided over by the Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Mohammed said Osinbajo had already commenced talks with critical stakeholders and would continue the discussion aimed at nipping the situation in the bud.

He urged Nigerians not to panic, saying there is no need for anybody to move from any part of the country because of the threat.

The security agencies are on top of the matter and there is no reason for anybody to panic.”

The minister said, “We want to make comments on what is agitating the minds of Nigerians, that is the call for people from certain parts of the country to relocate to their region. Generally very disquieting voices.

“We just want to assure Nigerians that the Federal Government is on top of the matter and that yesterday (Tuesday, the Acting President addressed leaders from the northern part of the country.

“At 4 pm today (Wednesday), he is going to address leaders from the South Eastern part of the country. On Friday he is going to address south eastern traditional rulers and leaders of thoughts.

“On June 22, there is going to be a meeting of all the groups that is, traditional rulers, religious leaders and leaders of thoughts from both the South East and North part of Nigeria.

“The idea is not just to assure Nigerians that we are doing something about it but also to give comfort to all Nigerians that this matter is completely under control. To assure Nigerians that any Nigerian anywhere is save, the security authorities are completely on top of the matter and that they will deal decisively with any group of people whose conduct that is believed is going to create instability in the country.

“So there is no need for anybody to panic, there is no need for anybody to move from any part of the country. The security agencies are on top of the matter and there is no reason for anybody to panic.”

Osinbajo had on Tuesday, read the riot act to troublemakers, warning that any attempt to disrupt the peace in the country would be met with the full wrath of the law.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top