Alleged $9.5m fraud: Pinnick, Sanusi know fate February 20

0
63
NFF

An FCT High Court, Maitama, on Monday, fixed February 20 for ruling in an application to join Nigeria Football Federation President, Amaju Pinnick, and Secretary-General, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, in the alleged misappropriation of 9.5 million dollars FIFA grant.

Justice Peter Affen had earlier fixed October 22, 2019, for ruling in the application before the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation said it wanted to harmonise the charges.

EFCC dragged three officials of NFF before the court in an alleged 9.5 million dollars FIFA grant misappropriation before applying on April 30 to join both Pinnick and Sanusi in the matter as co-defendants.

Those being tried earlier were NFF Director of Administration and Finance, Christopher Andekin; Cashier, Reagan Zaka; and Head, Finance and Account Department, Fadanari Mamza.

The EFCC charged the defendants with five counts bordering on criminal conspiracy, breach of trust and misappropriation.

The EFCC alleged that they conspired between January 8 and 26, 2015 to commit the offence, contrary to Section 97 of Penal Code.

Andekin was alleged to have been entrusted with money meant for the development of football in Nigeria, a grant from world football body, the Federation of International Football Association.

He was alleged to have fraudulently diverted 1.3 million dollars from the NFF domiciliary account with Zenith Bank, an act that is contrary to Section 311 of the Penal Code.

Zaka, on his part, was said to have fraudulently diverted 7.2 million dollars from the FIFA grant, while Mamza was alleged of diverting 2. 3 million dollars.

The defendants all pleaded not guilty to the charge.

On June 27, 2019, while adopting processes filed in support of the application for joinder the prosecuting counsel, Mr Steve Odiase, urged the court to grant the application.

According to him, the charge filed by the government against the first, second defendants, including Pinnick and Sanusi at the Federal High Court in Abuja was different from the one at the FCT High Court.

On his part, counsel for the defendants, Festus Ukpe, while adopting affidavits opposing the joinder, urged the court to refuse the application.

At the resumed hearing, on Monday, Mr Abubakar Musa, senior state counsel, Federation Ministry of Justice told the court that the Attorney General of the Federation was withdrawing the application for harmonisation to enable EFCC to go on with the matter.

Other counsel did not object.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here