Ajimobi flags off state health insurance scheme


Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State on Thursday flagged off the State Health Insurance Scheme.

He declared that his administration was committed to improving health care service delivery to the people.

He said the scheme was open to children under age 5 and pregnant women, free of charge.

Ajimobi appealed to the people not to deviate in their support for his administration.

“We have taken Oyo State higher than we met it and we need to give back to the society. This insurance scheme is for

everyone, especially the poor and that is why we have pegged the registration to N200 naira only and monthly premium fee of N650 naira.

“This health insurance scheme is one among the various health initiatives we offer our people to give them accessible and affordable quality health care.

“The free health, where several people are being treated, is presently going on across the state. We have improved safety and security across the state and we want our people to support our agriculture initiatives for food security.

“We are committed to making life meaningful to our people and everything humanly possible to achieve this will be done,” he added.

Chief Medical Director of University College Hospital, Professor Tope Alonge, the Managing Director/CEO Ultimate Health Management Services, Mr. Lekan Ewenla and the Managing Director of Alafia Hospital, Mr. Babatunde Agbaje commended the state government for the initiative, saying that the scheme will give the citizenry access to quality health care.

Acting Executive Secretary of Oyo State Health Insurance Agency, Dr. Sola Akande said that the health insurance scheme was backed by an enabling law for formal and informal sectors, saying that attempts by previous administrations to institutionalize the health insurance in the state suffered “abortion at different stages of gestation”.

Akande said “Under the Ajimobi administration, the pregnancy has

been carried to term and OYSHIA scheme delivered. The scheme will cater for those who need the services, and even those who cannot pay.

“It will promote a standard plan with a benefit package that covers

over 90% of disease pattern in our communities, while the remaining 10%

will come with top up packages for interested residents.

“This scheme will provide immediate employment for 627 health workers

and for the first time in the history of Oyo State, our local government health facilities will have more than one medical officer

rendering services to the people.

 “Some other residents of the state can be gainfully employed at biometric centres and vouchers’ sales points,” he explained.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here