By Mathew Ibiyemi (WHATSAPP 08131233043 OR email: email@example.com
1. Don’t plug in your earphones and listen to music while charging phone
Recently, several news reports revealed that plugging your earphones to listen to music while your phone is charging may lead to electrocution. In fact, several deaths have been reported this year in accidents related to ‘smartphone electrocution’.
- Don’t overcharge your smartphone
Stop the practice of charging your smartphone for long hours, as this may lead to overheating. Always remember to unplug once the phone is charged.
- Don’t sleep with your smartphones nearby
Never sleep with your smartphone nearby while charging it or otherwise, especially underneath the pillow. Not only is it risky, doctors debate that mobile devices interfere with brain signals during sleep which affects peaceful sleep.
- Don’t expose your smartphone to direct sunlight while charging
Avoid charging your smartphone in direct sunlight or other hot places like near the car’s dashboard (of course, during the day) especially for long hours. This may make the heating issue worse. The accepted temperature is usually 0 to 45 degree centigrade.
- Never charge your phone on uneven surfaces
Many of us do this, leaving our smartphones under the pillow to charge. This too needs to be avoided as it may too cause your smartphone to overheat and catch fire.
- Avoid charging your phone in power strip extension cord or multi-plug
As a precaution, it’s always better not to charge your smartphone on those power strip extension cords. This is because if any device in one of the sockets in the cord is affected, it is sure to cause damage to your smartphone as well.
Can the use of Mobile phones in filling stations really cause a fire outbreak?
Undoubtedly, every petrol station in Nigeria has a poster prohibiting against the use of mobile phones. This myth gained prominence as a hoax email that was given accreditation when a Shell employee from Jamaica rebroadcasted it with the Shell Company signature.
It has gone to become one of the most widespread myths I have come across with from my younger days till now. Come to think it, have you ever wondered why the use mobile phones are prohibited? Some even g to the extent of feeling you to turn it off. Well, I can guess your answer, you have been made to believe it would result in a fire outbreak but this is very untrue.
Let us examine what the world of science has to say about the real risk of explosions or fires caused by the use of mobile phones?
As explained in Naukas, the two greatest dangers related to the use of mobile phones are the possibility of explosion or fire. Could something like that happen if you keep your phone turned on at the petrol station? Science says no, because these devices emit very little energy (less than 1 W/cm2).At this point, we all know that these devices are low-power radio-frequency transmitters (between 450 and 2700 MHz), with a peak power value that ranges between 0.1 and 2 watts. Can they really have an impact in a petrol station?
The only way that a mobile phone could generate a spark at a petrol station would be due to a defective battery, which is unlikely and could also occur in the case of the car’s own battery. While the possibility is remote, there is a low risk that an explosion could occur from the gases that are emitted by the hose and not from the fuel.
The truth is that the use of mobile phones is probably more dangerous as a source of distraction than as the possible source of an explosion. According to a report from the Petroleum Equipment Institute, there are no documented incidents at petrol stations related to fires or explosions caused by the use of mobile phones.
In short, the scientific evidence does not support the hypothesis that these devices cause serious accidents. However, you should remember that using mobiles at petrol stations can also result in people being run over, carelessness with the car and other pedestrians, etc.