43-year old bags 18months sentence for unlawfully entering hospital ward


By Yemisi Ajayi, Ibadan

Magistrate court sitting in Iyaganku has sentenced a 43-year-old man, Segun Akinleye to 3 and half years imprisonment with hard labour

With charge no: MI/586c/2016, the convict was arraigned on a two-count charge of stealing and unlawfully entering a ward at the University College Hospital, UCH, Ibadan.

The prosecutor, Mr. Salewa Hammed told the court that the accused on February, 12, 2017 at about 8.00pm at UCH , Ibadan stole Galaxy Tab III valued at N65,000 and a blackberry phone valued at N50,000.

Hammed said the stolen phones belonged to one medical practitioner at UCH, Dr. Kalejaye.

The Prosecutor said the accused also did unlawfully enter East 1 ward at the hospital, with the intent to commit felony on the aforementioned date and time adding that the offences contravened sections 390 and 412, Criminal Code Cap 38, Vol. II, Laws of Oyo State of Nigeria 2000.

The accuse however pleaded not guilty to count 1 but pleaded guilty to count 2

He confessed to the court that he did not steal any phone, but that he did enter the premises claiming he only went there to charge his phone.

To press home his charge, the prosecutor called on three witnesses from the emergency department of UCH to testify against the accused person.

The witnesses are: Dr. Kalejaye, Dr. Oluwande Olufajo and Dr. David Kolawole.

Dr. Kolawole told the court that before the accused was eventually caught, there has been several cases of stolen phones in the ward with some of the cases reported at the appropriate quarters.

Kolawole confirmed that ?the accused person was found at the emergency department of the hospital where he claimed to have come to charge his handset

The medical doctor Dr.Kalejaye who work at the East 1 on the said day told the court that on that day he was called to attend to patient who was dying and needed urgent attention and that he left his phone in the doctor’s room which has a mini entrance supposedly to be for doctors only but that within 10 minutes that he went back to the doctors room, he couldn’t find his phone where he was charging it.

In her ruling the Chief Magistrate, Mrs Abiola Richard sentenced  the suspect to three years and six months imprisonment with hard labour.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here